A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 2nd August 2016, 08:42 PM

Default Pergola or Car Port

After being in this house for 20 years without a garage, I decided that at least one of the vehicles (guess which one?) ) was going to get some protection. I am fed up cleaning seeds, leaves and airborne cr@p from the car drains. So I decided that the most economically viable option (and sort of within planning control guidelines) was a pergola with a roof. Started a few days ago putting in some pads for the verticals in an area which was the start of a path around the front lawn and making the area larger. Got some of the structure up today having cut most of the parts whilst waiting for the concrete pads to set. When completed it will be a section longer than in the photo at around 6m. So it will, of course, fit a certain car.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0279.JPG
Views:	536
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	13895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	13896   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0281.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	13897  
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:09 PM

Great idea!

I have a garage, but it's accessed through an alley, which kinda defeats the purpose. I'd love some protection from the elements in the driveway.

2008 Audi S8
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:19 PM

Excellent work! Just make sure the structure is no higher than 2.5m as that's the permitted development limit for buildings / enclosure's when next to a boundary.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:26 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice idea David

I've been planning to do something similar myself. Like you, I have a parking area but no garage. I had been considering putting up four timber posts then using something like corrugated clear acrylic sheeting as a roof.

Are you sloping the roof to allow the rain to run off?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:30 PM

Thats interesting to find out! Quite by accident the posts are 2.4m at the front.
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:50 PM

Really nice idea. I have a garage but I have to snake between the gates at the side of the house and drive past the house into the back garden to access it. Oh and it's about equal in size to the 8, AND full of stuff.

I guess an added bonus of this pergola of yours is that it won't become a large shed!

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 3rd August 2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Nice idea David

I've been planning to do something similar myself. Like you, I have a parking area but no garage. I had been considering putting up four timber posts then using something like corrugated clear acrylic sheeting as a roof.

Are you sloping the roof to allow the rain to run off?
I intend using Ariel Plastic's Corolus corrugated PVC either 1.1mm or 1.3mm. They do a 0.9mm version but I have been warned off that. B&Q do a good price atm. Polycarbonate is v expensive but stronger. The recommended slope is a minimum of 5deg with 10deg being better for run off. I am going with 5 deg.
I would say that if you want to get all of your '8 under cover then its going to be over 5m in length and if you only use 4 posts then thats a big span without central support and most timber comes in standard lengths under 5m (i.e. my 150x50mm beams are 4.8m in length).
Old 3rd August 2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
So it will, of course, fit a certain car.....
And on the three days a year when the temperature is more than 22 degrees, it can be a shady area for your garden parties
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
And on the three days a year when the temperature is more than 22 degrees, it can be a shady area for your garden parties
mmm....maybe. Today is supposed to be summer and work is stopped due to torrential rains and wind.
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:24 PM

Will the PVC be strong enough for the very rare winter snow? and will 5 deg be enough for it to slide off?

I think this is a great idea, I am looking at my driveway now weighing it up