A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior

D2 - Interior Seats, dashboards, plastics, ventilation everything inside the cabin

Old 16th January 2017, 09:33 PM

Default Wet door card

Evening all,

Anyone had a wet door card before?

Got in to the S8 this evening, it's been sitting on the drive over the weekend in the snow and rain.
I happened to put my hand down between the drivers door and seat to recover my phone and felt that the lining below the door pocket is soaking wet!

Sure enough, felt along the bottom of the door card and the trim has detatched from the solid trim and is full of water underneath.

Carpet is damp but not wet.

May explain why the car is permanently fogged up every time I get it to it!

Going to call in to TPS tomorrow and buy a set of trim clips so I can take the card off and investigate.

Anyone had this problem before?

Short of an answer I'm sure I can persuade my 7 year old to spray the garden hose against the door while I investigate from the inside ....

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 17th January 2017, 08:40 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Not had that in any of my 8s but I've had similar in other cars when the door drains became blocked and the door filled up with water. Can you hear any sloshing if you wiggle the door?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 17th January 2017, 06:32 PM

Drains look clear, an initial hose over the outside of the door had water dribbling out of the drain halfway along the door to the outside world

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':

Previous 'Projects':
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 18th January 2017, 06:09 AM

Had more of a look at the door last night. You can see from the pic where the door trim material has detached from the card.
When I opened the door last night there was a steady trickle of water from the very bottom of the door in the direction of the arrow - there seems a lot of water in there in comparison to any other car I've ever owned?
Is this the only door drain?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wet door.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	545.6 KB
ID:	15439  

Daily drive:

Current 'Project':

Previous 'Projects':
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 18th January 2017, 04:55 PM

Default Similar sitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameiseuk View Post
Is this the only door drain?
I have a similar problem on mine, which I intend to take a look at shortly. Damage to my door 'card' is much worse than your one so I'll try and grab a photo and upload it. I've just had a look on my ElsaWin application and can see that there are two sunroof drains to the front of the car and a further two drains leading to the back. The front drain may be a possible culprit as it ends up tucked inside the door jamb, through a hole situated just above the meaty bottom hinge - picture/diagram attached so you can see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-01-18 16:50:28.png
Views:	277
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	15441  
Old 18th January 2017, 09:39 PM

There should be several drains in the door, all along its length. Possibly they are blocked up with something, or possibly the plastic is missing from behind the door card?
Old 18th January 2017, 11:29 PM

Got an hour free this evening and had a proper poke at the door.

Sunroof drains are all ok, nice trickle of water from behind the rear wheels and down the A pillars above the lower front door hinge.

I sprayed the garden hose liberally over the outside of the closed door and found that water is running down the outside of the door card from the top of the black triangle above the rear view mirror. Runs over the speaker grille and pools nicely along the plastic step inside the car!

Adjusted the door striker plate and fiddled with the double lip door seal (the harder one running round the outside of the window frame) and it seems to have stemmed the flow.

Going to have a look at the passenger side too - if one is doing it then it's almost certain the other is too.

Still need to pull the door card off, dry it out and fix the peeling material at the bottom of it.

10 door clips due here tomorrow from TPS to fit when the door is apart.

Now discovered I'm going to have to paint the black window frame - previous owner hasn't been kind to the paintwork

Daily drive:

Current 'Project':

Previous 'Projects':
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 19th January 2017, 12:39 PM

Default Inconclusive

I had a look at mine, albeit in the darkness. Both darinage tubes end up poking out of the hole just above the hinger and looked ok to me. I'll probably have to get some old curtain wire or similar to give it a good poke through although I suspect that the water ingress may be down to having less than perfect door seals? Another job to do on a slightly warmer day, I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Audi_door_card_OSF.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	15442  
Old 19th January 2017, 06:23 PM

I opened the sunroof and carefully poured water into the black surround, water drained quickly front and back out where they should have gone. If you're going to poke wire or similar up the drain hoses make sure the end is folded over so it's not sharp and likely to poke holes in it.

Your door looks similar to my issue - I ran a dull screwdriver down between the two 'lips' of the seal, dug out a load of caked crud then gave it a genlter clean with an old toothbrush and some soapy water. At least if it gets past the outer seal it can now run down the outside of the 'A' pillar

Daily drive:

Current 'Project':

Previous 'Projects':
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk