A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 15th January 2014, 08:32 PM

Default Mirror Issues

Have had the old 8 for 10 years now, so I guess a few niggles here and there are going to appear sometime.......today my partner used the 8 for a long trip and the wing / door mirrors started misbehaving horribly while she was driving, constantly folding in and out, settling down for a while, then restarting the whole in out thing. It was quite disconcerting to have to drive on the motorway like this - I had it happen with my BMW X5 a few years back but that was a warranty issue so no problem.

Have searched the various mirror threads but not sure what the best course of action would be to troubleshoot this. Hoping one of the forum members can help.....and that its an easy /cheap fix!
Old 15th January 2014, 09:06 PM

could just be a dodgy switch - maybe try running it in a different position to where it was. Other possibility is a fault control module, but I'd reckon on the switch being more likely at this stage

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 16th January 2014, 05:33 AM

Thanks, will start with replacing the switch which thankfully looks quite easy!!
Old 16th January 2014, 07:37 AM

Extremely I'd say. IIRC you have to prise (carefully) the lower handle shell off first to then release the trim panel with the switch in.

I'd test as advised earlier first though. Try driving around with the switch in different "non-park" positions. Then try with the switch wiring disconnected as that would narrow it down further.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th January 2014, 08:06 AM

Getting the drivers one out can be harder than the others as there's less room to wiggle it out with all the switches. Worse still with extended leather. Prob ok without. Mine was a pig to get started but once the leather was overcome it was ok

I have a spare mirror control switch if you need one - came in a replacement trim panel from a8 parts

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 16th January 2014, 08:23 AM

So do I.
Don't recall any major wiggling problems though, you do have to lift the outside (door skin) edge first which is easiest pushing from below once the lower shell is removed.
There are compressible metal spring clips on the outer edge but huge great solid plastic lugs on the inside that you won't release
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th January 2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 16th January 2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the offer AdrianE, I will let you know if I wreck the replacement one that is on its way

Sounds like a nightmare to change the switch HP, I hope it isn't! Are there pics somewhere? Ian must surely have taken all the electrics to bits already and in photos somewhere!
Old 16th January 2014, 02:24 PM

Not at all, probably 5 minutes if you know what you're doing.

Lever out (carefully) the lower shell of the door pull with a trim tool. It will release easier at either the front or back edge first (not sure which, so try both).
Then push up the switch panel from below so that the outer edge lifts up first and swivels towards you (in the drivers seat) to unhook the lugs.

Disconnect all the plugs and take indoors to work on. You'll then see that the mirror switch is just held by two retractable toggles and a lug opposite them and can then be pushed out.

Obviously you can test it by just connecting the new unit directly to the wiring plug in the door without replacing the panel.

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th January 2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 16th January 2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks HP, I have a generic set of trim tools so hopefully these will work, will have a go at loosening it all over the weekend.
Old 16th January 2014, 10:23 PM

For the front trims, lever from the narrow rear edge - when you get it out you'll see the front edge is much larger so needs locating first when you refit

2 bolts to release the switch surround, then pry up as her HPs post

Releasing the switch itself is easy enough although 3 hands are useful! Flick the 2 plastic sprung clips and push out all at the same time