A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 31st December 2013, 07:46 PM

Default Clock Resetting

Hello All

Can anyone tell me why my clock keeps resetting itself. It must be 80% of the time. It only happens when I get in the car. It mainly goes to 0:00 but just for the hell of it will sometimes pick something completely random. Date is often wrong as well, and usually sticks at the last date I used the car. Time will go wrong without affecting the date but date never goes wrong on its own. I can't set it to Radio or whatever the setting is, it just goes to 0:00 when I do that. Running latest firmware, but don't have any of these cable things to check anything with.

Thank you (and Happy New Year).

Adam
Old 1st January 2014, 01:37 PM

Mine does it if I leave the sidelights on such as when parking somewhere dark and get out the car and lock it. There was a radio software fix for this, but it didn'tw ork for me and I have the latest SW.
Old 2nd January 2014, 06:13 PM

I don't appear to have any rhyme or reason to explain mine. Lights on or off, wipers in auto or off. Open door using fob or handle (and any handle). Use the key or the start button. Daylight night time... lights programmed to say on or go off.... I doubt I've tried every variation but all the same.
I've run the gambit of ritual dances, talking to it in German. I've tried sacrificing chickens and goats (I'm still on the lookout for a virgin.... )
All seems a bit ridiculous really .
Definitely wasn't as bad when I first got it. If no-one can point to a likely cause I'll have to run it into a stealers
Old 2nd January 2014, 07:05 PM

only tsb i can see for clock being wrong like this is as snap says ussually due to sidelights being on when key taken out.

you could try the fix its quite simple but doesnt always work, its a quick bit of coding with vcds

however there is a proviso that on MY2006 cars produced from 12/05 and with the software data version 0400 or 0410 where the fix is to Update to software version 0420 (or higher) via the software version management (SVM) ie only done at the dealers

details of tsb are roughly here http://www.audi-resource.com/faq/con...is-wrong.html?
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks very much limoncello

Mine is a facelift 2005 car registered in May. I guess produced before 12/05. I'll need to look up how to check my software version. I remember reading sometime ago that the lights could cause problems. I went through a period of ensuring they were off before switching the car off but it didn't cure anything. I'd also swear the clock doesn't wait 1.5 hours to reset itself but I might be wrong so will check.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:26 PM

I'm fairly local to you and have the latest update discs if you want to run them through the car - also have an old copy of VCDS and a clone cable which worked fine on Audifin's D3 4.2d the other day

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:42 PM

Hello Adrian That's a very generous offer thank you .

I haven't had a chance to look anything up yet. I'm assuming the software version limoncello has advised about is different to my having upgraded the MMI. Assuming I can find out somehow without the need for additional cables, I can check over the weekend what version I have .
Old 3rd January 2014, 01:58 PM

Sounds like yours is the earlier type so the VCDS coding change and then a software update should resolve. I've done some coding on the instrument cluster on my D2 for the radio clock module so the actual coding change should be extremely simple.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 3rd January 2014, 02:53 PM

with the earlier model car the fix is supposed to be the coding change only. not the software update, but its worth looking to see what version f/w is being used in the module. as the tsb car "years" doesnt take into condifderation that the module may have been replaced. so possibly might benefit from the software upgrade
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 3rd January 2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks limoncello, that's the TSB I knew I had seen but couldn't remember.
Looking at my coding and the TSB link you supplied, maybe I will try putting the 8 on the end instead of 3

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 4E0-910-xxx-17.lbl
Part No SW: 4E0 910 950 P HW: 4E0 920 950 P
Component: KOMBIINSTR. VDO H71 0400
Revision: D02 Serial number: AUDID3ED000392
Coding: 0032413
Shop #: WSC 00097 210 17577
VCID: 31629C61A8327B1