A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th May 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Worwsers.
I worked on mine yesterday and today, if I knew it was such a PITA I would have probably held out for a decent used strut. Mine seems OK now but I did then have a leak where the air-pipe connects. I had tried to get away with using the old fitting and onion on the plastic pipe but it was probably not compatible with the new valve so leaked so much it wouldn't lift at all. Had to cut 1cm of the pipe off and use the new fitting and onion supplied with the airspring. Then lifted OK and so calibrated with VCDS in SAINSBURYS car park.
Having stripped down and replaced the seals and other parts, it is a bit heath robinson, I'm surprised there aren't more problems. With no air in it, it literally falls apart!
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the last sentence? Reason for asking is that I'm hoping to swap the aftermarket air suspension on mine back to OEM before the annual meet. As such, the original compressor, valve block and associated piping haven't seen any action in two years. Just wondering if I'm likely to run into any issues.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th May 2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the last sentence?
Firstly, after 274,000 miles, the spring itself (the bladder or airbag was still pristine) I suspect the leakage was from one of the two o-oring seals.

When I assembled the new airbag and metal housing to the old damper, it is held at the top with a large threaded nut but at the bottom (behind the narrow part of the dust boot it is just an interference fit of about 5mm (tube inside a tube with an oring) and just turning the damper upside down it will slide off. That means when you jack the car up, if there is no pressure in the strut it will try and pop off (fall part) as the sping is exerting no pressure to hold itself engaged. Maybe this is worse on a new instalation with everything lubed up.

Some people have reported aftermarket springs burst soon after installation, I have a theory that they assembled it without worrying about the orientation of the bottom forks in relation to the strut and then twisted them to fit the lower control arm and in the process twisting the airbag inside.

Last edited by snapdragon; 13th May 2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 11:12 AM

Thanks snapdragon. That puts my mind at ease.

Sorry mannyo for hijacking your thread. Back on track again.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 15th May 2019, 03:58 AM

Thats ok.

Back to my problem,

I managed to get the basic settings done with the duff compressor although it did overheat at the end of the process as the car was increasing height from dynamic to comfort.

The rear came up fine and the front started to rise when the compressor went overheat. Result was the car went back to dynamic and the other options on the MMI greyed out. I am sure I'll get back into comfort mode once the compressor cools down, but at least all the faults have cleared and none now showing.

Compressor is cycling on/off way too often right now, it will switch on and run for 15 seconds or so, then shut off and then back on again for another 15 seconds a few minutes later. I really hope this is because of the low compressor output as it is really noisy right now and very audible in the cabin.

I did drive her yesterday in comfort mode, with the amber suspension light due to no basic settings and she sat in the office car park all day and the ride height was the same 12 hours later, so hopefully nothing is now leaking. She looks ok as the photos below show (Taken pre suspension calibration). Yes one side is slightly higher, this car park is on the **** slightly.

Next step is sort compressor, not looking forward to replacing that.

Just one quick question, does the surface used for calibration have to be completely level or just flat, eg. not on a slight slope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60207567_2314899598793107_5293320375097098240_n.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	865.3 KB
ID:	21594   Click image for larger version

Name:	60359008_2160602237391391_2254874052491476992_n.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	951.9 KB
ID:	21595  
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 15th May 2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 16th May 2019, 09:21 PM

Mannyo - sounds like you've had a lot of hassle there

For all those looking to replaces struts I bought some for my Allroad from Germany new for about £140 each. Company was called aerosus or something along those lines.

I never had any problems with it at all. I think buying a used strut is a gamble as you never know whether your used replacement is any better.

Mannyo - I had a replacement strut fitted on my D3 and it was calibrated on the flat. Not sure how a slope would affect things but why risk it?

Hope you get your car sorted. They are good cars the D3's but replacing costly items is a major headache and is where a lot of owners sell up.
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:25 PM

if mine packs up im fitting Bilstien Coilovers
Old 27th May 2019, 02:07 PM

Back again, mine is now sorted and back on the road after more than 2 months.

To summarise,

It looks like the strut I replaced was not faulty, as the same issue remained after replacement. Instead it looks like the valve to the left hand rear wheel was stuck open. The left hand rear went right up to maximum, and because the valve was stuck there was not enough pressure to raise the heavy front of the car.

I have also now fitted a replacement compressor and recalibrated the suspension and she sits nice and level now.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 27th May 2019, 07:47 PM

Great news Manny, glad to see your determination has finally paid off and you have a useable D3 again

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 27th May 2019, 08:09 PM

Well done.
Hope that everything else comes to you.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)