A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 19th June 2017, 02:23 PM

My sports cats (approx 6rs old made of poor quality "stainless" steel) were replaced with another set - by another supplier (C+C Exhausts in Glasgow) in proper grade stainless - and they cost me £535 the pair (inc fitting/VAT). Its not cheap whichever route you go.
Old 20th June 2017, 12:13 PM

The main thing is these aftermarket options are lot cheaper (and better quality) than stock cats, which are around £1000 each!
Old 20th June 2017, 11:14 PM

Thanks Goran. Who did the work for You in these pictures? The welding looks top quality.

Mossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
This is how stock cats look on a LHD S8, the RHD is almost identical.

These are the HJS cats, this is the better with both brackets easily accessed from underneath no need to remove the downpipe and front lambda.

Old 21st June 2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runman99 View Post
Hi, well I have to admit I was hoping for a significantly less costly. ?

Regards
Mat
I forgot to mention, you can sell your old cats! I got £250 for mine! (£125 each)
That will take the sting out of new cats a bit.
And they gave the full price even though one of mine was very broken up with several honeycomb pieces already escaped.

I sold mine to this place, but I'm sure there are cat recycling places all over the country. They use a catalogue for the price so hopefully the amount they pay shouldn't vary too much. Failing that just post them to the place I used.

http://www.fjchurch.co.uk/
Old 21st June 2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyboy1978 View Post
Thanks Goran. Who did the work for You in these pictures? The welding looks top quality.

Mossy
It was Mike Edwards of Edwards Motorsport. He has moved to Wisbech now and has a proper workshop with 4-post lifts etc. And a mandrel bender of course!
Can't recommend him highly enough. He mostly does motorsport exhaust so he knows his stuff. He is very friendly and will work with you even if you are very particular about how you want it done (ie, like me )

He used to work for BTB Exhausts who have quite a reputation apparently. I did approach them first but they wanted between £3000 to £4500 to do my exhaust!
http://www.btbexhausts.co.uk/

So when I searched a bit on Pistonheads and other forums I found loads of recommendations for Mike and that he used to work at BTB, so I thought I may as well get the same high skills for a 1/4 of the price.

Last edited by Goran; 21st June 2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 21st June 2017, 11:37 AM

Ok great! So how much was the whole job parts and labour in the end?

Old 21st June 2017, 02:03 PM

The whole exhaust without cats was £1300, but that's because I wanted the same diameter pipes as stock which had to be ordered from the USA, and also because I was a bit nitpicky about the exhaust tips which required extra man hours to get how I want them. I think his original quote was £800 that was with slightly larger piping he could get from the UK.
Of course add to that the price of HJS cats or cats of your choice.