A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 30th April 2019, 05:48 PM

Default Front Brake Rattle

This is now doing my head in! Audi removed and refurbished the caliper, put it all together and it seemed ok. Due to health I haven't really driven it but yesterday I went for a drive and there is a rattle from the same caliper when going over an uneven road. If I apply the brakes, it stops. This rules out the shield (which I have checked).

Could this be pads not seated correctly or the caliper pistons causing issues? I will call them tomorrow but I would rather have sorted it myself if it was a quick job rather than booking it in etc. Perhaps the pads need some anti-seize or anti-rattle lube if there is such a thing?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 30th April 2019, 06:26 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've had that on a few occasions, after having new discs/pads fitted, when the mechanic failed to properly re-insert the pad retainer spring (or whatever it's called). On my D2 that is of course, but I'm assuming D3 calipers are similar.

If the spring clip is inserted incorrectly, such that it's not pressing against the pads, they rattle around until you hit the brakes. It's a surprisingly loud and tinny rattle too. I thought I had a loose exhaust mounting the first time I heard it.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 30th April 2019 at 06:36 PM.
Old 30th April 2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've had that on a few occasions, after having new discs/pads fitted, when the mechanic failed to properly re-insert the pad retainer spring (or whatever it's called). On my D2 that is of course, but I'm assuming D3 calipers are similar.

If the spring clip is inserted incorrectly, such that it's not pressing against the pads, they rattle around until you hit the brakes. It's a surprisingly loud and tinny rattle too. I thought I had a loose exhaust mounting the first time I heard it.
Thanks. This was my first asumption and it may well be the cause. The spring-plate does seem to be fitted correctly (as per Tech Dump) and can only go one way. I wonder if they bent it a bit to make it easier to fit hence losing it's tension? It also makes a clicking sound when stationery if you pump the pedal (when you let go) so does sound like the spring is U/S.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 20th July 2019, 12:56 PM

Update on this, it was the pads not sitting correctly due to spring not fitted correctly (although they seemed correct). Took it back to Audi and they sorted it.
Old 20th July 2019, 03:51 PM

That’s very poor of Audi.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 20th July 2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
That’s very poor of Audi.
That was the least of my problems. I have had 3 separate issues caused by them but I can say that they did everything they can to put it right and keep me mobile. Yes it was the least they could do but I didn't have to fight with them, they apologised and did the work correctly. Outcome was

1. O/S caliper refurbished
2. N/S caliper refurbished because the paint didn't match (I only paid for the seals and extraction)
3. Brake rattle fixed
4. New locking wheel bolts as they gunned them up so tight it broke the key!

It doesn't give them a good reputation but the service advisor and his manager were both spot on so I can't fault them. Had it been another garage, I may have had to fight them to resolve it all and they would not have done the other caliper or provided a loan car.
Old 20th July 2019, 07:18 PM

That’s good they sorted the issues, hopefully they have sent the guys for further training.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub