A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 29th August 2020, 04:19 AM

Default Possible voodoo

Making progress with the electrical gremlins thanks to smart a8parts folks (fixed my gps antenna, etc). Last thing I'm chasing is the "doors open". Took the latch out of the PF door and was looking and checked the switch, which is good. I have the door window carrier out, and the switch only, connected to the wiring, in my hand. I found that if I manually close the switch, it will probably show all doors except the drivers door as open. But, if I rock just a little in the drivers seat it will make the door indicator read as those three doors closed unless I let go of the switch. Wiring looks fine back in the hinge area, etc. Could this be some leveling sensor or something? Going to go drive the car and see how it acts. Any thoughts appreciated. Yeah, went for drive and all doors but drivers door are intermittent open/closed at the same time... all controlled by the frnt pass door switch?

Last edited by Shel155; 29th August 2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 29th August 2020, 08:19 AM

Does it have or has it had aftermarket alarm. OEM are each door switch on separate wiring but many aftermarket only have 1 or 2 inputs for door open switch so the wires get connected together. This should be done via diodes to isolate but if done with just a straight connection or if diodes have gone short circuit it will show all/ several doors open.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 29th August 2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Does it have or has it had aftermarket alarm. OEM are each door switch on separate wiring but many aftermarket only have 1 or 2 inputs for door open switch so the wires get connected together. This should be done via diodes to isolate but if done with just a straight connection or if diodes have gone short circuit it will show all/ several doors open.

Not that I'm aware of, had the same old "horn" sounding alarm but the alarm recently has quit... alarming. It has a "parrot" hands-free module tied into the radio? Is clear tho, three doors seem to be tied into the FP door, not sure if the rear doors register independantly or not, will check. This issue might be a bit beyond my ken.
Old 29th August 2020, 10:41 AM

Are the interior lights working? The passenger front door and two rear doors have a separate power supply to the driver's door hence why when there is a fault in the system it shows one door, or three. The interior lights are all tied in to this system.
Old 30th August 2020, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Are the interior lights working? The passenger front door and two rear doors have a separate power supply to the driver's door hence why when there is a fault in the system it shows one door, or three. The interior lights are all tied in to this system.
I think, that all interior lights are working except the auto-on function of the overhead light. I'm going to wiggle some wires and have someone watch the indicator, beyond that I'm willing to remove the seats if there's any connectors that could be bad, or anything else that's easy enough to get access to, can't see myself pulling the car apart for this tho... hoping for something that doesn't require that. Surely this has something to do with the fact that first thing I did when I got the car is wash it- with badly clogged drains.
Old 30th August 2020, 04:06 AM

Little update. I checked the wiring, wiggled everything with someone watching, it does not affect the issue. However, I found that actually shaking the car *might make the lights go out but rocking in the drivers seat will more reliably, make the lights go out. Then I played with the seat position, raising it a little made them go out solid (and come on) as they should. I think some connector or whatever thing under the d. seat is doing this... sound right? Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 08:00 AM

The only thing under the seat related to the lighting is the rear seat footwell light which is triggered by the back door on that side. If that is shorting out somehow then it may be upsetting the central locking unit which controls all this stuff.
Old 30th August 2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The only thing under the seat related to the lighting is the rear seat footwell light which is triggered by the back door on that side. If that is shorting out somehow then it may be upsetting the central locking unit which controls all this stuff.

Ok, might try and fiddle with that then without taking the seat out, first. Actually, I think I remember that thing is dangling and probably why I popped the relevant fuse. Very nice, thank you.
Old 30th August 2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shel155 View Post
Ok, might try and fiddle with that then without taking the seat out, first. Actually, I think I remember that thing is dangling and probably why I popped the relevant fuse. Very nice, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me from the first time you asked about this problem
Check the fuse for the interior lights. That causes both your problems
Old 31st August 2020, 02:17 AM

Well I don't really understand it, but that hanging light on the back of the seat seems to have been causing the problem. It wasn't lighting either, just took it apart cleaned the contacts and put it in it's rightfull place and every dang thing is working now, even my over head auto-on issue. Man, talk about finicky... I would like the right to have an interior light be inoperable without turning off half the car's functions Ok, hope it sticks. Thanks for the help, Senior member MikkiJayne. Now to put the door back together which didn't need taking apart.

Last edited by Shel155; 31st August 2020 at 02:19 AM.