A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 23rd October 2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. My unit is identical to this one, same part no etc. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A8-SA...item46013a3a8c
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenquattro View Post
Thanks for the reply. My unit is identical to this one, same part no etc. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A8-SA...item46013a3a8c
yeah looks same as mine, but different part nos, the Blaupunkt Part No on mine is 7 612 801 016

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:23 PM

Blaupunkt part no on mine is 7 612 001 344 which is also the same as the one in the eBay link in my previous post. Currently doing a bit of digging on 'tinternet and haven't yet found a definitive answer. Never had this problem in the good old days when I had my old Audi 90 quattro Sport 20V, lol.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:27 PM

could there be a difference between part nos for A8 and S8?

Old 23rd October 2012, 10:35 PM

Looks like this could provide the answer to the, 'Is it an RNS C or RNS D?' http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=244
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:39 PM

yeah also found this and translated using Google from a German site

"Here's an overview (Navi Forum)

A8

4D0 035 192 C to Mj. 1998

4D0 035 192 J to Mj. ?

4D0 035 192 E up to MY. 2000 (48.KW 1999)

4D0 035 192 H to Mj. 2001 (approximately 09/2000) "first with TMC"

4D0 035 192 K to Mj. 2001 (approximately 03/2001)

4D0 035 192 N to Mj. 2002 (approximately 12/2001)

4D0 035 192 M since Mj. 2002 (approximately 12/2001)

So until version E is nothing with retrofitting of TMC.

From version H retrofitting with TMC is possible.

So if there is, "first with TMC", then there is a possibility of retrofitting. The navigation system itself is in any version (H - M) a separate TMC tuner."

looks like there are various versions of RNS-D then, very confusing and would confirm you have indeed an RNS-D, phew!!

Last edited by briang9; 23rd October 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:49 AM

Still not totally clear, that other thread linked to suggests suffix E is an RNS-C, and that was posted by IT who tends to know about such things.

The only way to know for sure would be to borrow a DX CD and see if it works OK. I believe non-DX will work in both -C and -D so that's no test.

Or just get a cheap 2007 non-DX CD and live with it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 31st October 2012, 06:18 PM

A little update on my intended Sat Nav retrofit for my A8. I do realise this generation Nav is pretty much obsolete, but wanted the factory fitted look. So far I have aquired the RNS C head unit, Navigation Plus Instruction book, GPS aerial, TV Tuner (early type), CD changer, CD changer lead and the mounting bracket for the changer. I will also be buying the boot trim with the bulge for the CD changer and GPS thingy for the bootlid. A couple more questions on this project. Will I need the TMC Module, and what is it's purpose? Will I need the Navigation Module, and again, what is it's purpose? Lastly what is the lead/cable etc I require for the TV Tuner (early type 1999/2000ish), and where can I buy one?
Old 1st November 2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenquattro View Post
A little update on my intended Sat Nav retrofit for my A8. I do realise this generation Nav is pretty much obsolete, but wanted the factory fitted look. So far I have aquired the RNS C head unit, Navigation Plus Instruction book, GPS aerial, TV Tuner (early type), CD changer, CD changer lead and the mounting bracket for the changer. I will also be buying the boot trim with the bulge for the CD changer and GPS thingy for the bootlid. A couple more questions on this project. Will I need the TMC Module, and what is it's purpose? Will I need the Navigation Module, and again, what is it's purpose? Lastly what is the lead/cable etc I require for the TV Tuner (early type 1999/2000ish), and where can I buy one?
The TMC unit sends traffic reports to the head unit so it can adjust your route around the traffic.
It also acts as a can gateway translating the signal from the stereo so you can have the directions on your dash.
You can run the RNS with out it.

What's the Navigation Module?
Navigation is part of the head unit.

The TV tuner lead is the 11 pin from the back of the stereo to the Tuner.
If you have the Tuner B its the big black 56pin unit. I'm not sure what it is on the Tuner A.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:20 AM

Tuner A has a similar 11-pin socket. Plus other connectors (aerials and power mostly I think)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!