A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 29th December 2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Its just an ordinary relay.
Just clarifying this a bit, attached is a photo of the side of the VAG 204 Relay (431 951 253H).
The extra component in the 85-86 circuit isn't the usual symbol for either a resistor or diode, so what it is? I assume it's providing some sort of protection.
I currently have a spare anyway (many thanks, Frank ) but if I was to order a replacement online (rather than trying to extract one from my nearest VAG spares department) what am I looking for in the specification?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VAG204.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	22644  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th December 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 29th December 2019, 08:29 PM

My belief is that that is the symbol for a resistor. The one with the diagonal line through it is the symbol for a magnetic coil.

When the coil is energised, a magnetic field is created, which, as we all know, closes the switch. When the coil is de-energised the magnetic field collapses. This collapsing magnetic field has the potential to induce a current in any nearby conducting wires if not correctly managed. This is how an ignition coil works.

The usual way of dealing with this is either to block it from damaging anything sensitive with the use of a diode (electrical one way valve) or use a resistor to disipate the current.

I have some other Audi relays and the symbols are the same on a number of them.

Personally, I would only buy genuine ones. They can't be that expensive.

Cheers Frank
Old 29th December 2019, 08:36 PM

Sorry, forgot to put the picture in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191229-213847_Gallery.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	22647  
Old 29th December 2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
My belief is that that is the symbol for a resistor.
Yes, I think so too, I found some Bosch equivalents online with a specification that implied a resistive protection.
Quote:
Personally, I would only buy genuine ones. They can't be that expensive.
True, it's just that I've found the local VAG parts people not particularly helpful when just supplied with a part number; they insist on a VIN and identifying the required part in their online database, which for a nearly 20-year-old D2 they really struggle with and lose interest.
It took me ages to just get a standard green Coolant Temperature Sensor out of them, especially as the retaining clip and O-ring had to be identified and purchased separately!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th December 2019, 06:10 AM

It's a shame about your local Audi dealer. Mine, in Leeds are supper helpful and have on occasion even come outside to look over the car as they haven't seen one for a while. They always take my part numbers over the phone without any problems.

I have spent thousands with them over the years though so maybe that helps.

Let me know if you are struggling to get one at all, I'll order one from Audi and send it on to you.

Cheers Frank
Old 30th December 2019, 08:11 AM

Likewise my local TPS guys ^ Happy to get a quote if you post the part number.
Old 30th December 2019, 08:24 AM

Another potentially dumb question from Frank.

What is "TPS"? I have never used them and have never really come across them. Any chance of a Web link please?

Thanks Frank
Old 30th December 2019, 08:44 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Probably a varistor rather than a simple resistor. I suspect they've just simplified the symbol.

Varistors are commonly used in electronics as voltage limiters/arresters. In this case it will be to limit the back-EMF generated by the relay coil, to prevent interference and potential damage to the relay drivers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varistor

A diode can be used instead (across the relay coil), but has the disadvantage of slowing the relay movement, which can result in contact arcing/burning.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 30th December 2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 30th December 2019, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the offers of help folks, but I'll find a way I'm sure. I'm only going to get another relay as backup anyway, MJs F125 diagnosis seems the most likely culprit.

I actually use the local VW parts people for common items as they're much nearer; the Audi dealer makes it almost impossible to get to their parts department for any sensible conversation as the desk in the dealership is manned by morons - last time I ended up talking to someone through an open door into a warehouse on a trading estate where they actually do the work!
Old 30th December 2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannerrash View Post
Another potentially dumb question from Frank.

What is "TPS"? I have never used them and have never really come across them. Any chance of a Web link please?

Thanks Frank
VAG's trade counter https://tps.trade/ They were set up to compete with the likes of Euro Car Parts and GSF and to avoid the dealers having to support trade customers who obviously have different needs to the public (for example delivery, bulk ordering of consumables, credit terms etc).

They were supposed to be exclusively trade from the start but most branches took the regulars with them when they split from the dealers. In recent years though an edict came down from on-high that they don't deal with the public and pretty much all of them are toeing the line. A few branches will still deal with individuals who they already know, but everyone else gets sent to the nearest dealership.

Interestingly, the dealership parts counters appear to have more discount options than TPS do. My discount is decided by the computer based on some opaque algorithm. Dealers appear to be able to discount as far as cost price depending on who is asking.