A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th April 2009, 05:24 PM

Default Air or Not To Air...

That is indeed the question..

Currently I have my 96 A8 4.2 and I was considering getting some coilovers and rims a few other nice touches and leaving it at that...

However I love the idea of Air bags on the car to raise and lower at the flick of a switch...

Anyone got any experience?

I have seen Mike Kippens 8 on You Tube and it looks farkin amazing, but there seems to be no details of anyone doing the conversion anywhere on the interweb..

Help...
Old 4th April 2009, 06:44 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

There are 2 companies in Europe that sell a kit for the A8.

BSS Air-Ride systems

and

HPS of Switzerland

I have spoken to HPS as this is an aspiration of mine. Just no money atm due to engine loss.

If you do do it, blog it on here please.

This is the aim....

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th April 2009, 03:50 PM

Outstanding thanks mate...

Did you look into cost at all? I was reckoning about £2k?

I too am under the kosh fiscally speaking at the moment, so it's just an aspiration of mine as well... But I might go for coilovers in the short term to get the look I am after and look at air once I can afford/justify it...

I wont be using my 8 as a daily, it's a weekend car or as and when a second car is required, so plenty of time to look into it and decide for the best.

In the mean time I am going to carry out a complete overhaul and do some preventative maintenance...
Old 5th April 2009, 04:13 PM

i have air ride on my mk1 golf and coilovers on my S8 and i must admid i dont think id ever want to put air on the S8 the coilovers do it all and do it well imo

www.facebook.com/obdworks
full genuine ross-tech vcds
full genuine vag- tacho
full genuine mpps flash mapping
Old 5th April 2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
This is the aim....
see for me that car looks awful, that stance is the worst way a car can sit
parked up the reverse rake (the rear sitting lower that the front) reminds me of kids when they lower there pug 306's arse end down is not a good look.

mine on the front is phisically as low as you could driving with out the upper control arms hitting the inner upper arch (it has shown signs of contact already on big bumps )

www.facebook.com/obdworks
full genuine ross-tech vcds
full genuine vag- tacho
full genuine mpps flash mapping
Old 5th April 2009, 05:32 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

While I agree the rear down stance is a bit naff, I want the ability to chose my stance from the cabin. About stock with a good firm ride for the track and spirited driving. Low and comfy for the motorway. Jacked so as I can get over the draconian sleeping policemen in military bases and slammed (with a forward rake) when parked.

HPS wanted about £1800 if I remember for front and rear struts, bags and dampers. Find your own compressor, lines and controls.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 6th April 2009, 10:01 PM

Conan, you're a leather shorted chavvie boy. If it was not for my fear of the dewey (sic) decimal system and your grotesquely proportioned sword I'd thrash you to the beat of "lowrider" by War.

Yours, A daily Mail reading,

Bill

P.S Brakes were sorted today and scrubbed in. The family of mice have departed, deep joy. Thanks Mike

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.