A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th May 2015, 05:24 PM

Default difference in RR

having been glancing through some french Audi websites I notice that a number of people have been told by their audi dealers that if they have to change a tyre on a quattro and the others are more than slightly worn they must fit a complete set .... clearly due to the difference in RR

but I presume there must be a tolerance within which the system doesn't get damaged ....question is , what is it ?
Old 26th May 2015, 05:50 PM

I thought 5%.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 26th May 2015, 05:50 PM

From memory it's about 1%, which covers a new to worn tyre essentially.

I know.. I know..

Old 26th May 2015, 06:36 PM

when doctors disagree ....
lets put it another way
taking a new tread depth as 8mm , when you fit a new tyre should you change the other 3 tyres when they are at 7mm ?6mm? 5mm?
expensive hobby whatever

also if you fit a new pair at one end , how close do the pair at the other end have to be ?
Old 26th May 2015, 06:41 PM

You can get away with a 2mm tread depth variation across each axle and the average of the front and rear measurements can vary by 2mm as well. Only time that doesn't apply is with an electronically controlled diff when they reckon the rears should be as close as possible to the same tread

It's in elsawin as general guidance

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th May 2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
You can get away with a 2mm tread depth variation across each axle and the average of the front and rear measurements can vary by 2mm as well. Only time that doesn't apply is with an electronically controlled diff when they reckon the rears should be as close as possible to the same tread

It's in elsawin as general guidance

sounds like advanced maths to me ,lol

to pass an MOT in france you must have the same brand and type of tyre on an axle with less than 5mm of tread depth difference down the centre ; so not as tight as a quattro!

could be a case for a front to back change on one side to keep to the 2mm limits as it works on averages , wouldn't have thought of that
Old 26th May 2015, 09:32 PM

That's a sensible thing from France.
Old 27th May 2015, 06:21 PM

I'v read into this before, and as much as I agree that all tyres should be of around the same depth along with the same make and model for Torsen Quattro, you have to consider that all 4 wheels are rarely spinning at the same speed unless you go to work on a straight road with no bends and reverse back home

I think Audi have a good set up on getting you to buy new tyres and the honest answer is that it's probably not that finicky, but have I been brave enough to put it to the test? Nope so all my tyres are around the same depth and same make and model
Old 27th May 2015, 06:25 PM

I like it!!
Me, I just run them till they are worn and change one axle at a time, unless there is a load of expendable cash.
Seriously, being a skinflint pensioner, I'd run on second hand elastic bands if I could get away with it.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 27th May 2015, 06:55 PM

There can be quite large variations between makes and models of tyres, so taking into consideration the potential differences between 1.6mm and 7mm tread depths to the rolling radius, you can get outside tolerances fairly easily if you don't match tyre type.

The issue with electronic diffs is that they can get confused by tyres rotating at much different rates on the same axle but with no steering angle applied. Modern cars can be a bit too clever for their own good.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC