A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th May 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Worwsers.
I worked on mine yesterday and today, if I knew it was such a PITA I would have probably held out for a decent used strut. Mine seems OK now but I did then have a leak where the air-pipe connects. I had tried to get away with using the old fitting and onion on the plastic pipe but it was probably not compatible with the new valve so leaked so much it wouldn't lift at all. Had to cut 1cm of the pipe off and use the new fitting and onion supplied with the airspring. Then lifted OK and so calibrated with VCDS in SAINSBURYS car park.
Having stripped down and replaced the seals and other parts, it is a bit heath robinson, I'm surprised there aren't more problems. With no air in it, it literally falls apart!
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the last sentence? Reason for asking is that I'm hoping to swap the aftermarket air suspension on mine back to OEM before the annual meet. As such, the original compressor, valve block and associated piping haven't seen any action in two years. Just wondering if I'm likely to run into any issues.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds