A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th June 2012, 08:28 PM

Sounds maybe like it just needs to be told it has a new battery then... Could be that it holds information on charge/discharge cycles and current drop off to shut systems down faster as it ages.

Good to know for us sootchucker owners that make batteries work harder.

I know.. I know..

Old 16th June 2012, 08:40 PM

have a look at this - it might help . . . .
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...ry_Replacement

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 17th June 2012, 03:55 PM

My problem appears to have been down to a faulty brake light switch!!

Frigging things are too bloody clever for themselves!!!

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:31 AM

had a bit of a laboured start a few days ago, this morning just a ticking noise, Mmi screen comes up slowly.

Ive long thought my battery was responsible for the "start engine within 3 minutes" message that i get now and again, but IVF said the battery was fine in january when i asked them to replace it.

baby was due yesterday, so on borrowed time and now have to decide if to replace it myself, or get the car started and get down to ivf.

What is likely to go wrong with the electrics if i change the battery without a backup power source, and anyone know what battery will fit in the D3, i want the highest power one i can get

i have vagcom so can probably fix electric errors and recode the battery myself
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:47 AM

Eurocarparts link for the Bosch S5 battery, just make sure it fits first as it is the daddy of batteries

You need to enter the code battery15 for a 15% discount bringing the total to £113.17

Battery should be plug and play

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 2nd September 2012, 10:52 AM

As long as you don't short anything, you're good to go for the physical swap and re-code with VCDS.

I know.. I know..

Old 2nd September 2012, 10:57 AM

thanks tony
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:25 PM

All done, thanks guys
Europarts wasnt open today so got one in halfords the 019 model though rather than the 20, still a bosch s5 it looked fairly tight in there so thought the extra millimeters might not make it, with hindsight probably would have but didnt want to risk it

no issues afterwards, there wasnt a coding for bosch so left it how it was , just changed the serial number, reset the date and the windows and all looks like its working fine.

will have to wait and see if something else is the root cause

Old 2nd September 2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello View Post
got one in halfords the 019 model though rather than the 20, still a bosch s5 it looked fairly tight
Funnily enough I've been looking to get a new battery for my D2 (PF S8) as although it's fine it is also quite old (nearly 10 years - I fitted it myself!) and I suspect it could fail any time.
(Luckily with the PF D2 all you do is swap them over, nothing else to do except re-enter the radio code. )

However I do have a PDF document downloaded from Bosch that details what batteries go with what car - I'll attach it here. As far as I can see the D3 has basically the same size battery as my D2 S8, and the Halfords 019 is correct; 020 would be too long. The standard size seems to be 353 long, 175 wide and 190 tall (mm).
I currently have a Bosch Silver 8A (part 0093 S5 880) and the recommendation now is for an S6 002 (same as for D3) or S5 013 (0092 S5 0130) so I'll presumably go for the S5 013 which happens to have not only slightly higher capacity and CCA than my current battery, but actually more than the S6 as well!

Hope the document is useful, it's a few years old but covers a wide range of car makers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BA_Pkw_Kleintransporter_Anwendung.pdf (3.34 MB, 324 views)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 2nd September 2012 at 05:35 PM.