A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 25th June 2016, 05:10 PM

Default D2 FL bumper damage

Somewhat typically, had arranged a viewing today for my S8 but upon washing it found someone has kindly left a crack in my front bumper. This can only have happened in the past two days.

Questions:

1) are all FL bumpers interchangeable - ie A8 v S8?
2) can these bumpers be plastic welded?
3) easy enough to drill holes for PDC sensors or HEadlamp washers if i go second hand?

Old 25th June 2016, 10:13 PM

Angry

I feel your pain...you probably saw the mess mine was left in. New upper skin unpainted is over £600 if I recall. And that's without any trims, sensors or washers.

Could probably drill the sensor holes, but not sure about washers.

Just guessing if I'm honest...sorry.

Managed to pick up a used one.

Zip

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 25th June 2016, 10:19 PM

That could be welded for sure. Cheaper to repair it and repaint than to get a brand new one certainly. Some heat from the back of the skin would allow it to be massaged back in to shape, weld up the hole from the back, and then fill from the front. I'd expect around £300 at a bodyshop though so possibly cheaper to replace with a used one if you can find one in the right colour.

The headlight washers and parking sensors have bespoke mouldings behind the bumper skin so its more complicated than just drilling holes I'm afraid.

The upper part of the bumper is the same between A8 and S8. Its only the lower part which is different.
Old 25th June 2016, 10:46 PM

Thanks both for your feedback

I've approached 'Dave' for a quote - apparently, these kinds of repairs "he does every other day" - he seems to have undertaken some pretty involved work for a mobile chap:

http://www.thedentinator.com

I got another quote earlier today from a 'normal' bodyshop - they estimated 120 to plastic weld ("dependent on type of bumper plastic" and 330 to prep/paint/fit (North London prices)

Last edited by Cornershop; 25th June 2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 29th June 2016, 07:28 PM

So The Dentinator came and went .... and will need to come back as rain stopped play.

So far, so good - crack has been sealed and smoothed with a skim of filler; base coat applied and the match is very good, although i'll take another look when its dry.

The £300 estimate was spot on
Old 3rd July 2016, 11:13 AM

Really pleased to hear it's on the road to recovery. Would you recommend the 'Dentinator'?

2008 Audi S8