A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 18th April 2019, 12:11 PM

Default Another Year, Another MOT

Another year gone by, and the car sailed through the MOT again this year, with not a single advisory. The only comment I got was about the rear output shaft seal, which I told him I was already aware of and had the replacement part (the last replacement only lasted about four years).

Not bad for a car that was SORNED at the end of April 2018, sat outside 24/7 and never budged an inch. Admittedly, when I did put it back on the road in January (to avail of the tow bar), I needed to strip and clean the calipers as they had mostly seized up, but that has been it prep wise... the ABS and traction control lights still annoy me as they come and go as they please, even as I drive!

Curiously enough, I had a read of the thread I started after my last MOT and how they didn't check certain items. Well, guess what, straight from my previous thread:

He never checked the ESP/ABS and traction control, wipers, windscreen washers, windscreen, horn, spare wheel or seat belts

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th April 2019, 03:02 PM

Mine also passed yesterday, advisory on handbrake as always, 2 tyres getting low as expected. Unexpected one was slight movement in track rod ends and not the usual movement in ball joint but in the rubber bush.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th April 2019, 05:16 PM

My MOT guy stated my hand break was below where it should be on my last MOT. All he did was drive it around the block with hand break on. When he tested it again, it gives a much better reading.
He said most people don't use their hand breaks, as the leave the car in park.
That's why they give a low reading on the test
Note to self - Drive car with hand break on just for a short distance, just before next MOT
Sony rear entertainment package.
Bose sound system.
Audi Navigation Plus.
20 inch Final Edition alloys
Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble :
1997 A8 Quattro Sport - Now sold when S8 FE purchased
Old 18th April 2019, 07:38 PM

Son's 56 plate 4.2TDI passed today.
One comment "The rear brakes look pretty new"

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)