A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 31st January 2011, 09:57 AM

Default What to buy?

I am looking for a bit of advice here and I am going round and round in circles. I have done 30,000 miles in my 2000 A8 2.8 Sport in the last 10 months (and another 2,000 in my Z4 in that time!). It's now at 102,000 miles and I know it will go on for much more but it's starting to make noises and if I am honest I have decided that it will start to fall apart soon.
In March, I need to get out of my Z4 - I do too many miles for it to work for me and it costs many many hundreds of pounds a month and right now it just sits on my drive. So, in March, I was thinking of giving it back to BMW (I am not a big fan of selling privately) and I will probably need to give them about £4K to get out of the finance (ouch!). I was thinking I would trade in the Z4, the A8 (they may give me £2K for it) and then buying a second hand BMW. This was looking like a 2007 7 series (with about 25k miles), then it was a 2005 X5 (with about 50k miles) and then it was a 2007 6 series (with about 50k miles). I was looking to buy a car for about £20K and HPing it over 5 years to keep the monthlies low (I don't have £20K sitting around!).
However, I then thought about the D3. I absolutely love the comfort the D2 gives me - it is the most relaxing drive I have ever had. I don't need a fast sports car (I am building one of those). So I was thinking, maybe spend £10K on a D3. It will have pretty much have all the kit I want and be an improvement on the D2 (which is good anyway).
Obviously I will have to lose all my ICE that is in the D2 but that is not too much of an issue a long as I can get the ipod playing in the D3. And I am a bit concerned that I won't have bluetooth in the D3 - am I correct in that thinking? (I think £10K buys me an early one? 2003ish).
Also, do I have to worry about lots of electrical niggles like MMI breaking?

So what does anyone think? I need a large comfortable car that I can pile miles on (about 35,000 a year) and not worry about it devaluing too much (because it's not massively expensive in the first place or it has a low starting mileage)

2000/X Silver 2.8 D2 Sport

Last edited by jeremyp; 31st January 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 31st January 2011, 05:38 PM
bircham

Much as I am a fan of Audi, the new Audis I have had (2 old shape A6s) both started to go wrong at around 70000 miles when only 4 years old. For me an old A8 would cost too much in repairs and servicing at that kind of mileage. Much as I loath to say it, perhaps an old shape 520d would be better? Great fuel consumption and it would be a lot newer with BM warranty still on it. The other option could be an A6 2.0tdi - once again a great car for fuel consumption and still with audi warranty on it. For 20k you should be able to get both at around 18 months old (if not younger) as they are either just replaced, or about to be replaced.

This one might do with some haggling:
http://www.audi.co.uk/used-cars/used...cmdc=se_na_re_

Jon.
Old 31st January 2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the response Jon.
I did think about a 5 series but they are quite common.
I also forgot to say that I am not too worried about fuel economy - I have my fuel paid for and use business miles to offset my tax liability!
In fact, I want to take advantage of people getting out of big engined cars!
I have to say, the A6 doesn't really do it for me. And the newer Audi's do seem to be merging into one look. At least the D3 retains a distinctive look.
Oh, and I want an auto!

Old 31st January 2011, 06:22 PM

I find the newer A6s very spec sensitive - get a loaded one and they feel really nice, but a fleet hack spec one will make you think you were in a Golf, at best!

There's some nice Le Mans spec 3.0 tdi about - they are nicely spec'd and the motor is a gem, especially if re-mapped.

Of the BMW options, the 535d is a beast but there's plenty to go wrong and it's quite often the case that it does. The 6-series big diesel would be pretty awesome if you want something with a bit more presence and 600 mile range. Run flat tyres are horrid.

How about one of the newer Jaguars? You can get into an XF or XJ saloon at that money - hell if you want to **** off the eco-nutters the post 2003 supercharged XJ-R is well within reach with the aluminium body. There's a nice 2006/06 on auto trader with 37k miles for £18k! It's probably the closest you'll get to an A8 in size and feel, albeit with potentially acres of wood, unless the original order ticked the non wood options.....

Adrian
Old 31st January 2011, 06:27 PM

Thanks Adrian
The A8 would need to be loaded, without the toys you're not getting the benefit of the comfortable cruiser in my opinion. I am all about the gadgets.
I used to have a 535d (in 2005) - it was a beast - and a real Q car. Luckily nothing went wrong but I only kept it 9 months (such is my itch )
My boss has an XF - can't have that! and I am not a big fan of the Jaguars - always struck me as "old" technology and engineering. Having said that a colleague of mine has an old shape XJ with carbon interior and it is a nice shape but.....

Old 31st January 2011, 07:18 PM

You should see the 4.2 petrol D3s really starting to drop in price with some having decent mileage on them and all pretty well specced. If you're lucky, you might find a V8 diesel with low mileage and a decent price, they're definitely worth having. Although it pains me to say it, my next one will probably be a 4.2 diesel.. as fast as the petrol and cheaper to run especially if remapped.

I know.. I know..

Old 31st January 2011, 09:45 PM

Agreed the 4.2 diesel is a lovely motor

Know what you mean about the Jag's looks, but the XJ has aluminium construction like our favourite A8 and is very modern under that old suit Bigger than an XF so would have bragging rights over the boss

Would £20k get you into a V10d Toureg?