A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 8th April 2019, 09:18 PM

A little video I made earlier. Whenever I've done all this work on an engine the oil system is almost completely drained, the cam chains are loose, the pump is empty. Firing it up in that state is not good for its health since it will take several seconds to build oil pressure, so I like to spin it up on the starter with the plugs out to prime the oil system. With the plugs out there is no compression and so minimal load on the bearings. It usually takes 2-3 tries on the starter to build pressure. I hook a light bulb up to the oil pressure switch. When the bulb lights up there is oil pressure

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachmen...1&d=1554757800
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VID_20190408_182429.mp4 (53.40 MB, 516 views)
Old 9th April 2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Bosch FGR6KQE spark plugs - exactly what the factory fitted but without the Audi logo and 1/3 the price How many mechanics use a torque wrench on spark plugs, or even bother to read the torque specification on the box? One - me! I am amazed every time I take an engine apart how completely randomly tight or not the plugs are. Some are gorilla'd in, some are only hand-tight! Its really not that hard to do it properly 28Nm in case you need to know
It really bothers me too - David did the pugs on mine and found similar from the last garage that'd changed them - a couple gorilla'd in, and one loose as you like IIRC.....I am similarly afflicted in using a torque wrench for anything like this. If such a specific torque is given, there's clearly a reason to ensure a good seal without risking damaging the threads in the head.

Mate of mine reckons his hands are calibrated as a torque wrench so doesn't need to use them - I respectfully disagree with him (especially considering he couldn't manage to tighten the gearbox sump bolts properly after changing the oil, but that had more to do with being too lazy to modify a tool to get to a couple of the tricky bolts at the back of the sump!)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th April 2019, 07:18 PM

Just a small update tonight, which still represents quite a lot of work...

I took the engine off the separating table and put it back on the subframe ready to go back in

As I have another car under Jim's at the moment I can't get to the engine bay yet, so on to a particularly tricky little job - the broken bolt in the radiator:

This just snapped off like a twig as soon as I put any torque on it It's properly stuck in there so the only option is to drill it out.

I made a one-use tool to hold the drill straight. This is 18mm ID at this end, with a 4.5mm hole through the middle (as I happen to have a few very sharp 4.5mm drills!)

It is a nice snug fit on to the boss on the radiator

and holds the drill bit centred and straight

Drilled out to 4.5, then I opened up the tool to 5mm and went down with a 5mm drill too so there was only thread left in the hole

I then ran a tap very carefully down the hole, turning only a few degrees at a time to dig the remains of the steel bolt out of the brass insert. I had to be really steady here - it took a lot of torque to dig out the steel, but too much torque would break the radiator so it is a very fine (and nerve-wracking) balance!

It worked though

It took about 2 hours start to finish, which is a substantial saving on a new radiator! I got too cold to continue at this point so had to stop.

Cleaning the engine bay tomorrow, and hopefully refitting the engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	137.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	21278   Click image for larger version

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	21279   Click image for larger version

Name:	139.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	21280   Click image for larger version

Name:	140.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	21281   Click image for larger version

Name:	141.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	21282   Click image for larger version

Name:	142.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	21283   Click image for larger version

Name:	143.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	21284   Click image for larger version

Name:	144.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	21285   Click image for larger version

Name:	145.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	21286  
Old 9th April 2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I made a one-use tool to hold the drill straight. This is 18mm ID at this end, with a 4.5mm hole through the middle (as I happen to have a few very sharp 4.5mm drills!)
Yet another reason to read these threads, with ingenious ways of sorting out tricky situations.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 10th April 2019, 10:48 AM

Very nice work so far so a thumbs up from me

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 10th April 2019, 08:28 PM

Remember these?

Put a nut on each one

Break out the welder and weld the nuts on to the broken bolts

The heat of the welding breaks them free, along with a good squirt of WD40 as they cool down, and they unscrewed without a fight

Time to clean the engine bay

That's better

Lots of grot down by the ABS pump as the power steering hoses are always leaking

Most of the heavy gunge off

This side done too

Yuck!

All clean and ready for the engine tomorrow

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	146.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	21313   Click image for larger version

Name:	147.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	21314   Click image for larger version

Name:	148.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	21315   Click image for larger version

Name:	149.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	21316   Click image for larger version

Name:	150.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	21317   Click image for larger version

Name:	151.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	21318   Click image for larger version

Name:	152.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	21319   Click image for larger version

Name:	153.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	21320   Click image for larger version

Name:	154.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	21321   Click image for larger version

Name:	155.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	21322  

Name:	156.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	21323   Click image for larger version

Name:	157.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	21324   Click image for larger version

Name:	158.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	21325   Click image for larger version

Name:	159.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	21326   Click image for larger version

Name:	160.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	21327   Click image for larger version

Name:	161.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	21328   Click image for larger version

Name:	162.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	21329   Click image for larger version

Name:	163.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	21330   Click image for larger version

Name:	164.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	21331   Click image for larger version

Name:	165.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	21332  

Old 10th April 2019, 09:05 PM

As always, it is with great pleasure that I read your description of the work as it progresses
Despite all the dirt that accumulates over the years, isn't it wonderful that a good clean up is all that is needed to make the car look very fresh? No need to bring out the welder to repair rust on the body
That was one thing I really appreciated whenever I was working on my S8

Johannes
_________
Audi S8 -99, Pearlescent, Alcantara/silk napa leather, Burr walnut insert, Alcantara roof lining upper pack
A8 32V engine
-----
Jeep Grand Cherokee -98
Old 10th April 2019, 09:41 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Who else is as dilligent as this? I am more amazed with every post! Can’t wait to get the car back - really looking forward to the drive home. Then I need to get to work on the paintwork and cleaning the interior before the meet.

But what if it’s raining? Can I bring myself to take the car out in the rain after all of MJ’s TLC?

I know that it’s got an extra edge as it’s my car, but what a brilliant thread and spectacular work!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 11th April 2019, 07:57 PM

Glad you're enjoying it

Today was a day of great progress, countered by great vexation, and very few photos taken with a potato.

Mike came over to lend a very welcome helping hand and we got the front suspension off in preparation for replacing the upper control arms.

As usual the junction box under the chassis leg had disintegrated, so while the suspension was out I figured I'd get these two bolts out and clean this area up, and thus began the vexation

Doing so many of these, it was inevitable that these nutserts were going to get me eventually, and today was the day - the bolts were seized in to the nutserts so they just spun in the chassis leg

I started off drilling off the bolt heads, and then tried to drill out the nutserts, but they were so loose the drill then spun them round instead. In the end I had to use a carbide burr in the dremel to separate the top and bottom bits of the nutserts and then broke them apart with a centre punch.

I had to use a magnet on a stick to fish the bits out of the chassis leg - they are about 2 feet down here

The vexation continued when I realised I don't have any M6 nutserts. Plenty of M5 and M8 obviously Hopefully some will arrive tomorrow, and if not Mike has some.

They will go in here

Cleaned up ready for tomorrow. It took well over an hour to get here from the first turn of the bolts

After lunch we put the engine back in and started reconnecting everything and I forgot to take any pictures

I did get a snap of some new exhaust hardware

Hopefully running again tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	166.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	21350   Click image for larger version

Name:	167.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	21351   Click image for larger version

Name:	168.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	21352   Click image for larger version

Name:	169.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	21353   Click image for larger version

Name:	170.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	21354   Click image for larger version

Name:	171.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	21355   Click image for larger version

Name:	172.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	21356   Click image for larger version

Name:	173.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	21357  
Old 11th April 2019, 09:02 PM

MJ Your mechanical skills are matched by the descriptive power of your posts. Educational and enjoyable, thank you