A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th February 2014, 06:00 PM

Default Question for our ex-sailors?

I've just heard from the folks who are on a yacht cruising around Cuba and then on to the Caymans.

Or at least they should be.

They boarded on Sunday and have been in Cuban waters. Turns out though that it was the pilot's (is that the correct term?) first trip around Cuba and he's managed to get the boat grounded in mud.

After a 12 hour wait for a tug, they are now waiting for the authorities to issue some seaworthiness certificate before they can carry on their journey. The boat is effectively impounded right now.

Meanwhile, everyone on the boat, crew and passengers, have been arrested

And there is my question. Apparently this is standard maritime procedure, so I'd just like this confirming, and then ask why? If this was a cruise liner with several thousand people on board, would they really arrest every single one?
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 19th February 2014, 06:07 PM

WOW, that is very interesting and I'd like to know the answer to that as well. Very weird...

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 19th February 2014, 07:30 PM

Well, any maritime authority with jurisdiction over their waters will have the power to stop and arrest a vessel if it is believed that they have contravened national laws concerning safety and seaworthiness. Normally that involves "arresting" the vessel (nailing a writ to the mast - or, possibly these days, using duck/duct () tape. If it is believed that the crew may be at fault through negligence etc they can arrest the crew too. With a cruise liner the passengers are not the crew but on a chartered yacht your friends may comprise part of the crew and the skipper is in overall charge. Therefore, the authorities can arrest all those who they feel may have had a hand in the incident. But I cannot think that much damage was caused? (oil spillage, damage to reef life/site of special scientific interest etc)

May be they just dont like yachties?
Old 19th February 2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
using duck/duct () tape.

Good they had no ''stihlsaw'' on board

Any way, that is very interesting and educating.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 20th February 2014, 06:40 AM

I hope they are not delayed for too long, and can get back on their way. Cuba is a strange place, it maybe worth while contacting the Brittish embassy in Havana if it becomes slow moving. It's a very relaxed way of life over there and if i remember rightly there are no rules on how long you can be detained before trial.
Not saying this will apply to the folks of course, just saying there is no rush to do anything there.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 20th February 2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post

May be they just dont like yachties?
Cuban military is pretty paranoid and with Guantanamo and the US provoking them all the time I would imagine they will be getting asked lots of questions about how long they have worked for the CIA or MI6.

You have contacted the Foriegn Office and made them aware of the situation?