A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20th January 2019, 04:07 PM
MattyV8's Avatar
MattyV8 MattyV8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 42
Default Sunblind stuck half up

When I got my A8 the passenger rear sunblind worked and the drivers didn't. When I got my car back from a garage who'd had it for 3 weeks fixing various things I noticed the drivers rear sunblind was half down. I pressed the button and nothing happened. I pressed the button for the passenger and nothing happened. I thought this was strange but couldn't be bothered telling the garage as I was glad to have the car back.

The other day I started the car and the drivers rear blind that was stuck half down suddenly went up and back to its position of being stuck half down. I went into the back and pressed the button for drivers rear and it went up and down but to its half position. The passenger rear also now works.

So it's strange that the drivers rear never worked but suddenly went to its half position, stopped working and started working again.

I've tried forcing it back in the door whilst it goes down but it won't budge.

Anyone experienced this wierd issue before?
__________________
2006 Audi A8 4.2tdi Sport

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24th January 2019, 07:17 PM
homer simpson's Avatar
homer simpson homer simpson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 455
Default

Just to add you don't need to go into the back to operate the blinds, just do them from the driver's window switches (long press)
__________________
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27th January 2019, 07:26 PM
MattyV8's Avatar
MattyV8 MattyV8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 42
Default

Thanks, didn't know that. I presume it would be the switches for the rear windows?
__________________
2006 Audi A8 4.2tdi Sport

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28th January 2019, 03:52 PM
homer simpson's Avatar
homer simpson homer simpson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyV8 View Post
Thanks, didn't know that. I presume it would be the switches for the rear windows?
Yep the switches for the rear windows. With the blind up, the first press will drop the blind and second press the window. With blind down and window up, a long press up will pull the blind up
__________________
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28th January 2019, 04:37 PM
steamship's Avatar
steamship steamship is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,380
Default

Do you have access to VCDS? If so, it might be worth trying to disable the electric blind option for the drivers rear door, recycle the ignition, and then re-enable it again, in the hope that the electronics 'reset' the blind position.

I'm saying this based on it being with a garage for three weeks, and maybe during that time the battery was disconnected, or the car was jump started. Some weeks ago, my S8 was sitting idle for weeks outside and it wouldn't start. I got it jump started, but in the process, it played havoc with the MMI, with several functions disappearing completely. One was the visual when changing the temperature. Started it a day or so later and functions were back again. This sounds like the odd behaviour from the blinds.

If you're familiar with VCDS, go into module 72 (Door, Rear Right), and then into Coding, and you'll get the following screen. Make a note of the highlighted number ('0032623' in my case). Subtract 128 from your number, and then click 'Do It!'. After that, exit out of VCDS, re-cycle the ignition, and then go back into VCDS. You'll need to check and clear the Error Codes as you'll have one for the electric blind. Go back into Coding and change the number to the original number.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62&72 - RearDoorElectricBlindCoding.png
Views:	41
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	20797  
__________________
2001 A8 D2 FL 3.7 Q - LPG Conversion, Engine: AKC, Gearbox:FBB, Colour:LY5X Aqua Blue pearl effect, Interior:WJ light beige/dark beige valcona leather with burr walnut inserts

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:L--- Suzuka Grey, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th January 2019, 07:41 PM
MattyV8's Avatar
MattyV8 MattyV8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Yep the switches for the rear windows. With the blind up, the first press will drop the blind and second press the window. With blind down and window up, a long press up will pull the blind up
Tried it earlier, pretty cool feature! Thanks for that!
__________________
2006 Audi A8 4.2tdi Sport

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th January 2019, 07:44 PM
MattyV8's Avatar
MattyV8 MattyV8 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Do you have access to VCDS? If so, it might be worth trying to disable the electric blind option for the drivers rear door, recycle the ignition, and then re-enable it again, in the hope that the electronics 'reset' the blind position.

I'm saying this based on it being with a garage for three weeks, and maybe during that time the battery was disconnected, or the car was jump started. Some weeks ago, my S8 was sitting idle for weeks outside and it wouldn't start. I got it jump started, but in the process, it played havoc with the MMI, with several functions disappearing completely. One was the visual when changing the temperature. Started it a day or so later and functions were back again. This sounds like the odd behaviour from the blinds.

If you're familiar with VCDS, go into module 72 (Door, Rear Right), and then into Coding, and you'll get the following screen. Make a note of the highlighted number ('0032623' in my case). Subtract 128 from your number, and then click 'Do It!'. After that, exit out of VCDS, re-cycle the ignition, and then go back into VCDS. You'll need to check and clear the Error Codes as you'll have one for the electric blind. Go back into Coding and change the number to the original number.

I don't currently have access to vcds but am thinking it would be wise to purchase.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed write up, I'll look into getting vcds and of course post up the results with hopefully a resolution.
__________________
2006 Audi A8 4.2tdi Sport

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.