A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 24th June 2014, 09:15 PM

Default Tyre Wear

I realise it dependant on a number of things but what mileage would you expect to get out of a set of tyres, provided they'd been inflated to the correct pressure at all times and were restricted to everyday commuting (very little motorway mileage) on A and B roads?

The reason I ask is that I've had to replace the front pair on the wife's A4 after two years and 12k miles. They're a decent make (Continental) and 235/45/17 but I'm sure I've had at least twice that mileage out of front tyres on my A8? Having been given a lift by her tonight I'm guessing it's down to her driving style but I'm just curious as to what mileage you folks have typically seen.

Cheers

Ron

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 24th June 2014, 10:14 PM

Have you got heavy shoulder wear on the A4? The Contis on the A6 bus are wearing on the nearside front, but the rest of the tread is still pretty good.

I've not found the Contis to last as well as the Michelin Pilot Sports that were on it before - they did over 16k miles with lots of town work.

Did a set of Goodyear F1s in 10k when we first had it - they just didn't suit the car and wore them out in no time....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th June 2014, 06:29 AM

The wear is pretty even across the tyres Adrian so I'm not concerned that it's tracking or over/under inflation, I just thought 12k seemed poor but looking at your feedback it's about expected for them, thanks.

My mate had an A4 cabriolet until recently and used to speak of "Washington Syndrome" which was because his route too and from work involved driving through Washington and negotiating lots of roundabouts. He always wore the shoulders of his tyres, nothing he could do about it, he just came to expect it.

My missus and I have very different driving styles which is the reason I reckon I get loads more miles out of tyres. She accelerates and brakes hard just because she can, whereas I always try to use engine braking and anticipation more, it comes from riding a motorbike I reckon. When I mention her driving style she responds with "Well you drive fast!" and I respond with "Aah but I drive smoothly"........in my head of course, because after all I want to complete the journey

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 25th June 2014, 11:47 AM

Have a look at some of the tyre review sites. Not all makes wear the same. For example I found Michelin Super Sports wear much better than Dunlop 9000's or Falkens, I'm getting close to 20k from the Michelins.
Old 25th June 2014, 05:30 PM

I also reckon I get at least 20k from my Michelin PS2/3/PSS. Difficult to tell exactly as I swap wheels and tyres quite a bit, bit I've only bought 2 New Michelins in the last two years, so I think that's about right.
Old 25th June 2014, 06:18 PM

It's a long time since I even thought about how many miles tyres last, which I think is because it hasn't been a problem for literally decades. If I go back far enough I can remember performance tyres that sometimes lasted only about 3,000 miles.

I buy decent brands and don't let them wear down too far - nowhere near the wear indicator bars - but still get at least 20,000 miles. And for some time now both my cars have summer and winter tyres which I think prolongs their life as well as obviously reducing the annual mileage on each set.

As I think has been discussed in another thread, on D2's at least the front and rear tyres wear differently so a changeround evens that out. That happens on mine as part of the summer/winter cycle though, if I remember to manage it properly.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th June 2014, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the input and opinions guys, much appreciated. I was just interested in what was found to be decent mileage for modern tyres. I got a shock when I saw they were worn because it seemed like only recently they were renewed, though looking at my records I saw it was 23 months and 12k miles, mainly on local roads. I've had my D2 almost 9 years and only bought two sets of tyres so the 40k miles I've done in that time would suggest I get 20k a set too but I'm more particular about swapping them round on my own car.

I wash the wife's car regularly, make sure it's road legal but never give it the attention mine gets, as for caring about the cost of the tyres, I don't pay for them

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 25th June 2014, 09:09 PM

Just out of interest, all four were replaced two years ago and the rears have 4.5mm left on them against the new tyres 8mm. This would suggest she'll need a set of four in June 2016.....

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 25th June 2014, 09:16 PM

At 4.5mm I'd be planning replacement fairly soon, I don't go below 3mm unless I'm careless.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 25th June 2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 25th June 2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
At 4.5mm I'd be planning replacement fairly soon.

You haven't seen the insurance policy I've take out on her......

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra