A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st May 2020, 07:02 AM

Thats crusty but not the worst. It may be saveable using my (still untested) new method so don't get rid of the old pipes. I'll get the Spectrum ones packed up today.

Its possible on the driveway but it is messy. The hardest part is actually the clamp in the n/s wheel arch so if you have the suspension off thats a good start. The two banjo connections to the rack can be done from the o/s wheel arch and will dribble oil as soon as they are disconnected. I would suggest some cardboard on the floor to catch the escaping fluid, and some carb cleaner / degreaser spray to clean up the chassis leg afterwards. Renew the banjo seals of course.

There's an M8 bolt holding the pipes to the rack a few inches in from the n/s. I would normally get to this from under the chassis leg with the car on the lift, but it should be possible to do it from the wheel arch.

You can take the pipes out from the wheel arch once they are disconnected as there is just enough flex in the pressure hose to get it out without bending the rusty hardline. Oil will go everywhere although some paper towel stuffed in the banjos slows it down. Because of the liner in the pressure hose they will dribble for weeks, even when you think they are empty. Lots of cardboard needed on the floor, although naptha-based brake cleaner does clean it out of concrete reasonably well.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 31st May 2020 at 07:05 AM.