A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 18th April 2019, 11:41 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default Discs and Pads

Looking to replace my discs and pads. I usually go with Genuine or Brembo. Any recommendations?

Disc are 345mm front and 269mm rear (2002 FE) ... is that right?

(OE part numbers: 4D0615301E and 4D0615601B respectively I think)

Also, I'd prefer some discs that don't rust so quickly ... Should I be looking for "painted" or "coated"?

And presumably drilled/grooved discs are noisier and provide little benefit (except maybe on the track)?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 18th April 2019, 12:22 PM

I'm sure Brembo are OEM anyway so I would replace with Brembo rather than pay Audi more money for the same product with a stamp on it
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 18th April 2019, 12:43 PM

Brembo pads seem to fit the calipers best, and the OE pads are NLA now anyway.

I've used Pagid discs for a long time, but the rears are starting to go rusty on my S8 after only a year which is annoying. If Brembo do a coated version I'd agree to go with those. If not, Textar might be worth a try as they do a coated version and are also an OEM manufacturer.

FL S8 is 280mm rear btw.
Old 18th April 2019, 01:33 PM

I used Brembo discs and pads on my D2 S8 last time from Euro Car Parts.

Working well, though I did have to trim the pads a little as my callipers are a little corroded.
2002 Audi D2 2.8 A8 QS - Audi Silver
--
Old 18th April 2019, 02:11 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks all

Brembo do seem to do a 'coated' version but I'm struggling to find any in stock anywhere. So I might give Textar a try in that case.

Failing that, Pagid seem to be the most readily available.

Presumably Febi and TRW, which are generally much cheaper, are rubbish?

And what about Ferodo? Any good?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferodo-DD...m/282731326040
(coated rear discs and pads)

And would these fit the front?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferodo-DD...-/282731507463
(345mm x 30mm, 5 hole, but does not specifically list D2 S8)

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 19th April 2019, 07:21 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Funny how our experiences differ. I’ve had Pagid discs go ‘warped’ within a few months and the pads don’t seem to fit quite right.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 19th April 2019, 10:21 PM

I've had Pagid discs on front and Borg & Beck on the back with Brembo pads all round for around 3 years now. Seems to have been a fairly successful combination and certainly better than alleged "genuine Audi" discs that a local Audi indie I used to use fitted previously. That same indie has been caught out using inferior non genuine parts by other forum members I no longer use said Indie any more. Thankfully I have a local mechanic who I trust now, and he also allows me to source my own parts if I want

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 20th April 2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Funny how our experiences differ. I’ve had Pagid discs go ‘warped’ within a few months and the pads don’t seem to fit quite right.

It kind of makes sense, from what I heard Eurocarparts has the brand name of Pagid for UK but actual parts could be made by any Tom, Dick or Harry or in another words by lowest bidder so inevitably quality will vary and in most cases will not be top level.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 20th April 2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 20th April 2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
It kind of makes sense, from what I heard Eurocarparts has the brand name of Pagid for UK but actual parts could be made by any Tom, Dick or Harry or in another words by lowest bidder so inevitably quality will vary and in most cases will not be top level.
That's interesting. I've been quite underwhelmed by the Pagid stuff I bought from Euro for the S8 last year, but the set I put on Big Red have been fine. I won't be using Pagid next time.
Old 20th April 2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Same as what happened with Crossland filters then, hence I never buy them and why they are so cheap here.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder