A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 27th February 2020, 10:34 AM

It could be a really cheap product, sold at a premium price...………….. https://www.christinedemerchant.com/...t-removal.html
(Molasses contain chelating agents - cyclic hydroxamic acids )
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th February 2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:55 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I think the "magic" explanation is better Mark

I think the explanation lies with it being described as a "Chelator". Chelation is a type of bonding of ions and molecules to metal ions. It involves the formation or presence of two or more separate coordinate bonds between a polydentate (multiple bonded) ligand and a single central atom. These ligands are called chelants, chelators, chelating agents, or sequestering agents. They are usually organic compounds.
Chelation is useful in applications such as providing nutritional supplements, in chelation therapy to remove toxic metals from the body, as contrast agents in MRI scanning, in manufacturing using homogeneous catalysts, in chemical water treatment to assist in the removal of metals, and in fertilizers. (Wikipedia explanation ....... not mine!!)
I should've paid more attention in Chemistry lessons (instead of making my own experiments and setting fire to stuff with the Bunsen burners).

I wasn't aware of this 'Chelation' you speak of. Interesting stuff; I need to do some reading. In the meantime, I think you're right, "magic" will do. Or maybe 'witchcraft'. To paraphrase Python, 'if it looks like witchcraft, it must be witchcraft!'
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 27th February 2020, 11:38 AM

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Also:

Rust remover showdown

and

Molasses vs Evapo-rust
Old 27th February 2020, 01:35 PM

Frost do their own-brand version of this which is about the same price for 5L, but gets cheaper per litre for 25.

I hadn't thought of using it in cooling systems...

Good idea though. Obviously of little use to those with V8s, but relevant for V6s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frost-rustremover.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	22944  
Old 27th February 2020, 01:44 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Interesting application. Don't modern cooling systems contain rust inhibitors though? And, if there is a little rust inside the cooling system, wouldn't it be safer to leave it be, attached to the rusty part rather than flowing around the system? Or do these products safely 'consume' the rust rather than simply detach it?

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 27th February 2020, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't put it in a clean healthy engine no, just change the coolant regularly and that'll keep it clean.

I have, in my time, come across a number of engines which hadn't had new coolant for a long time, or had been topped up with plain water because of leaks, and were filled with rusty brown goop. In those cases, they would benefit from this stuff after a coolant flush to clean out the rest of the crud ready to accept fresh coolant. There is some sediment left in the bottom of the tank, but most of it seems to be held in the solution so should flush out without any issues.
Old 27th February 2020, 03:16 PM

I now remember where I have seen chelating substances used before and that's in ship main steam systems whether it was there as an inhibitor or for periodic clean I can't recall. The wiki entry refers to this use too.
Old 27th February 2020, 05:11 PM

I've always found white vinegar to be quite effective and cheap.
1988 UR quattro
2003 A2 FSi Sport
2020 Seat Leon Cupra R ST Abt
1989 911 Carrera Cab
Couple of Mk1 Golf Gti's (in bits)