A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 27th November 2018, 08:04 PM

Default Which Bulbs Are In My Car

I am looking to upgrade my headlight bulbs as they seem very yellow and not very bright, the car is a 2002 FL D2, I am not sure what type of bulbs are fitted to the car as I have no hand book, I was looking on Ebay at a pair of Osram Night Breaker H1 bulbs, but not sure if these are the correct ones, any advice welcome
Old 27th November 2018, 08:10 PM

Post a picture of your headlight cluster so we can be sure what version you have. From what you say it sounds like you probably do NOT have HID (Xenon) headlights.

Colour is in fact a tradeoff vs brightness and the bluer filament bulbs are actually dimmer, though that said there are upgrade bulbs from reputable suppliers that are both whiter and brighter than older standard bulbs yet still within the legal limits. Philips and Osram both do them.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th November 2018, 11:24 AM

These are normally accurate

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/?g...hoCma4QAvD_BwE
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 28th November 2018, 11:59 AM

A 2002 should have Xenon Plus which takes a D2R bulb, in which case there isn't a Nightbreaker to fit as they only come in D2S which doesn't fit properly.

Best option is just some decent branded D2R bulbs unfortunately.
Old 28th November 2018, 02:17 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I have the Philips X-tremeVision gen2, which are available in D2R and are a great improvement on the standard bulbs:

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/85126X...headlight-bulb

They are a bit pricey though. And you have to be careful where you buy them from; there are a lot of Philips fakes out there.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 28th November 2018, 06:54 PM

Wow, I cant afford the Phillips bulbs at £115 from Euro Car Parts, Im a pensioner, I cant believe they are asking £115 for a bulb, I think they will just have to stay as they are