A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 7th February 2019, 03:41 PM

Default ABS/Gear Recognition Signal

Last couple of times i have taken the '8 out I have experienced an ABS alarm on the dash when pulling away in a "spirited" fashion. It first occurred when turning left or right onto the road but now occurs when taking off straight ahead. Just scanned the car and VCDS indicates the following:
-----------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 8D0-907-389.lbl
Part No: 4D0 907 389 E
Component: ABS/ESP allrad D57
Coding: 08397
Shop #: WSC 02313
VCID: 31620445FBE4C6C269-5102

1 Fault Found:
01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
35-10 - - - Intermittent

---------------
However the Transmission Module says:
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
Part No: 4D0 927 156 EC
Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5V RdW 1010
Coding: 00111
Shop #: WSC 02314
VCID: 6ED8DF392A5A993A34-50E6

No fault code found.
----------------------------------------------
My first thought was ABS sensor. Any suggestions? (F125 was replaced with pukka unit Nov 2016)
Old 7th February 2019, 03:56 PM

F125 needs doing again then

Hmm I had another thought - is it down on power when the light comes on? Just wondering if its the brake light switch - that can cause some odd effects, but I can't remember which code it generates. I made a post about solving it in mine and how to adjust it properly but I have no idea which thread it was in

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 7th February 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 7th February 2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
My first thought was ABS sensor. Any suggestions? (F125 was replaced with pukka unit Nov 2016)
Had a chat to Neil about something similar a while back, when I mentioned that my D2 had been SORNed since last May. He said that the F125 switch doesn't like sitting around doing nothing, and one he had replaced also caused problems.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 7th February 2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Had a chat to Neil about something similar a while back, when I mentioned that my D2 had been SORNed since last May. He said that the F125 switch doesn't like sitting around doing nothing, and one he had replaced also caused problems.
That was what I feared as i havent taken it out regularly lately. But, even so, its only been fixed 2 years ago and its a Audi part FFFS and its not exactly been left for months.

PS. Why does the code show up in the ABS module rather than (or as well as) the TCU?
Old 7th February 2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
F125 needs doing again then

Hmm I had another thought - is it down on power when the light comes on? Just wondering if its the brake light switch - that can cause some odd effects, but I can't remember which code it generates. I made a post about solving it in mine and how to adjust it properly but I have no idea which thread it was in
There's no noticeable loss of power in the slightest.The red symbol appears, flashes/beeps 3 times and then goes off. I do so hope you are wrong MJ.
Old 7th February 2019, 05:13 PM

The red exclamation mark? That's an odd response. Usually it doesn't care about that code - it happens a lot on some cars when you use tiptronic - never really figured out why, although its probably the F125 on those too. I'd pull it apart and clean up the contacts then spray them with contact grease and bolt it back together. Mine is the original and has been fine since I did that 2 years ago.

I have a couple here that I've been meaning to refurb. I could do one on part ex if you like

The brake switch reduces power since it can't tell if you're braking or not so its not that.

Does that code definitely come back each time? Is it also showing the yellow fault light?
Old 7th February 2019, 06:24 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've just had a dig through my old fault code notes and garage invoices because I've had a number of different ABS faults over the years and that code sounded familiar ...

I have a record of exactly the same fault code, dated September 2013:

Quote:
VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 4D0 907 389 E
Component and/or Version: ABS/ESP allrad D57
Software Coding: 08397
Work Shop Code: WSC 00640
1 Fault Found:
35-10 - - - Intermittent
The next fault code record I have is from December the same year:
Quote:
VAG-COM Version: Release 311.2-N

Control Module Part Number: 4D0 907 389 E
Component and/or Version: ABS/ESP allrad D57
Software Coding: 08397
Work Shop Code: WSC 00640
3 Faults Found:
35-10 - - - Intermittent
01422 - Hydraulic Pump for Electronic Stability Program (V156)
28-00 - Short to B+
18256 - Please check DTC Memory of Engine Controller
P1848 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
I'm not 100% sure that the secondary faults were related to the first but, if I remember correctly, I had no work done to rectify the fault between September and December because it was a very intermittent fault initially. The fault got progressively more frequent, to the point that the ABS warning light would come on even on short journeys, which is when I booked it into the garage.

In my case it turned out to be a faulty ABS pump. Hopefully your fault might turn out to be something else David (because a new pump is a tad expensive, IIRC). I'm fairly certain I had no further work done after replacing the pump and that none of the above fault codes returned.

It's possible that some of the fault codes are common to different ABS faults of course and you may experience different symptoms. When my ABS pump started to fail, the symptoms I experienced were similar to that of an iffy ABS sensor, in that it would randomly trigger the ABS light, particularly during braking. Initially it was very infrequent and only after driving for a good 20 minutes or more. Whenever the fault occurred, I could immediately reset the ABS light (by stopping and turning the ignition off-on) and it would usually stay off for another 20mins or more.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th February 2019, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
It is the large red "Fault in Brake System" (the red circle with "brake pads" and exclamation mark inside) warning that comes on. I've just taken the 8 out again to check a few things out.
1. The warning cuts in on acceleration when the revs hit around 3800/4000 (in Auto) but before it changed down a gear. It happens 8 or 9 times out of 10.
2. It happened less when i switched to Tiptronic - but still did occur 1 in 5 times.
3. There is no yellow fault light.
4. Due to my accelerating runs there were times when I had to brake a tad harshly and i'm not sure that ABS is actually working. A couple of times I locked one or more wheels and there was none of the usual ABS pedal feedback.

Not yet keen to get the F125 removed (I cannot do it on the driveway) and then drill it apart! It shouldn't have failed in two years..... but it does look like it may be the culprit

PS. having cleared the DTCs this afternoon I'll check tomorrow what they say after tonight's run..

Last edited by David's8; 7th February 2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 7th February 2019, 07:55 PM

Isn't the big red warning also caused by low brake fluid and won't necessarily generate a code? Time to RTFM?
You could easily have 2 different things going on at the same time, triggered by hard acceleration.

My F125 problems never ever generated any similar warning and only ever once or twice the limp mode, when reversing after a cold start.
My 01119 code has reappeared a couple of times in the last few months, found when doing normal regular scans. No symptoms though.
(And I think my brake pedal switch also needs adjusting a bit more as well...)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 7th February 2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 7th February 2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Isn't the big red warning also caused by low brake fluid and won't necessarily generate a code?

Yes, low brake fluid will do the same. Will go and check that now

OK, Brake fluid is towards minimum but not low enough (I would have thought) to trigger the warning and, besides, but i wouldnt have thought that that would trigger a 01119 Gear recognition code. And, yes I have been reading the handbook

Last edited by David's8; 7th February 2019 at 08:13 PM.