A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 28th March 2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
My speed limiter is often perched on the passenger seat, if "it" is holding on to anything very tightly and sucking air in through clenched teeth then I am aware that my speed may be approaching inappropriate

I believe David and Jim have a similar speed limiting device fitted
I have the opposite - my passenger device tending to emit messages such as:

"go on, go for it!" or
"put your foot down, you can get through that gap!".

Not sure if that is better/safer though....

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 28th March 2019, 08:01 AM

For my sins, I’ve been involved with research on this tech (up till 2010 when the then-new coalition govt cancelled our research budget with immediate effect)

To do a proper job of it with enforcement and real time updating to reflect roadworks or variable speed limits needed some fairly minimal investment in mapping speed limits (because quality of data of actual speed limits and signs is REALLY poor!) and also requires investment in a reporting mechanism by traffic authorities. GPS alone isn’t good enough due to urban canyons, plus from what I’ve read this will be using Galileo and that brings its own challenges given our current and likely future relationship with that programme!

If your car displays speed limits as my Golf does (with up to date maps) it is comical how random they can be in terms of accuracy of reported limit and start/end points. Camera systems can be fine but aren’t very good at counting the spacing of street lighting to work out default 30mph limits. Nor are they good at accurately recognising dual carriageway over filter lanes to know if the limit should be higher

Basically, it’s all technically feasible and available for quite a few years and when done well it’s really not a problem to use - the more tech we have in cars the more accepting of this tech most people will be. Voluntary and/or over-rideable systems are likely to be far more acceptable to drivers, but you do lose a fair amount of the potential casualty reductions.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th March 2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
My speed limiter is often perched on the passenger seat, if "it" is holding on to anything very tightly and sucking air in through clenched teeth then I am aware that my speed may be approaching inappropriate

I believe David and Jim have a similar speed limiting device fitted

I used to have one of those and funnily I'd rather have it back next to me.
But I am finding that I have calmed down quite a lot these days so a limiter is not needed the same.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)