A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 22nd April 2019, 07:50 PM

I'm going to stick him through an MoT and just drive him about while I decide his fate

The engine bay is the dirtiest I've ever seen

A broken front sping to deal with - this and a torn balljoint boot on the lower front arm on the same corner are the only mechanical issues. Maria at Prestige sorted out a replacement spring of the same spec for me before the long weekend

Ugh. We all know what this is That is not getting fixed before the MoT!

The 3.7 has an additional oil cooler for the gearbox, as well as the standard one in the radiator. Lots of silly plumbing in this corner because of this.

Factory towbar

Well, this is the source of the dampness in the cabin The driver's side carpet is utterly soaked, despite being dry on the top

I spent quite a while squeezing the water out of the foam like a sponge, then mopping it up with a towel. Its amazing how much it can hold under the carpet

I got out as much as I could by hand and then left the dehumidifier running overnight. Its going to take a few days of this to dry it out.

I dealt with most the mechanical stuff today (next post) and will start cleaning up the interior tomorrow / Wednesday.

There are a bunch of electrical issues to sort as well since the moisture has got in to quite a few modules. The folding mirrors have a mind of their own, the column clicks but doesn't move, and the speedo and fuel gauge are both intermittent.

The drains probably all need cleaning too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	21465   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	718
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	21466   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	21467   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	21468   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	21469   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	21470   Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	21471   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	21472  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 23rd April 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 23rd April 2019, 06:42 AM

Can you detail what products you use and how you go about mould removal and carpet cleaning in the interior when you do it please Michaela?!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:35 AM

Can anyone else see the images MJ linked to in post #11 above? I noticed the links in the email notification, but they don't appear to be working.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 23rd April 2019, 10:38 AM

Oops

I know what happened there. I'll fix them at lunch time

Fixed

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 23rd April 2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:18 PM

Images now showing

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 23rd April 2019, 07:58 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Looking through the MOT history, it seems the car has had the absolute bare minimum maintenance for most of its life. There are failures on tyre tread depth and a number of issues that are advisories one year then failures the next.

I get the impression that, if it wasn't for the MOT failures forcing the work to be done, the owner would've just continued to drive it until something fell off.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:00 PM

Not unusual for a 19 year old barge to end up on banger economics for its last few years. It can be hard to justify spending money on a 2nd or 3rd car in a household when it’s not worth a lot.
In it’s favour, it has small miles for it’s age and a rebuilt autobox.
Certainly has a good bit of life left in it in the right hands.
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:02 PM

The MoT history is an interesting contrast to the actual condition of the car actually. The owner probably never even lifted the bonnet, but the garage who looked after it since 2005 actually did a pretty good job, and used mostly genuine or good quality parts as far as I can tell. The oft-mentioned front CV boots are either genuine or Lobro, fitted with the proper clips. All four brake discs are genuine. I suspect it probably went for an annual service and MoT at the same time since it only did 5-7000 miles a year, so the garage just fixed what was necessary.

I suspect when the gearbox 'failed' a second time the rebuild was out of warranty so they just gave up on it and sent it for scrap.

I've taken 6 litres of water out of the interior so far
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:33 PM

Supported the upright with a strap while I swapped the strut and lower arm over

I keep a spare flange nut to use as a drift in these occasions so I can hold a socket on it and give it a solid hit with the lump hammer to pop the taper loose

Boot deteriorated, and most definitely no longer 'preventing the ingress of dirt' I replaced it with a good used one for now.

Looking quite good from here

A hose on the end of the shop vac can reach underneath the heater to suck all the debris out of the drains

With the passenger side output flange heat shield removed I can just get my hand to the drain outlet. I use the same green hose but this time attached to the compressor so I can blow any remaining debris out of the drains.

The list is growing

These are the last ever genuine D2 air filters

Does anyone recognise this logo?

OE rear discs cleaned up enough to bed in some dirt cheap pads . These discs will be replaced if I keep the car

The front discs are also OE and in pretty good condition so I put some TRW pads on these

Lower the front end on to axle stands so I can tighten the suspension bolts with the weight on them

This is the extent to which you have to go to dry out wet carpets. I took about 3 litres out with towels, and the dehumidifier has taken a litre per night out and is still going.

I'm really hoping it can take the remaining water out overnight so I can put the interior back together tomorrow, since the MoT is 08:00 on Thursday...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	24.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	21474   Click image for larger version

Name:	25.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	21475   Click image for larger version

Name:	26.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	21476   Click image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	21477   Click image for larger version

Name:	28.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	21478   Click image for larger version

Name:	30.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	21480   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	21481   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	21483   Click image for larger version

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	21484   Click image for larger version

Name:	35.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	21485  

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	21486   Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	887
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	21487   Click image for larger version

Name:	29.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	21488  
Old 23rd April 2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
This is the extent to which you have to go to dry out wet carpets. I took about 3 litres out with towels, and the dehumidifier has taken a litre per night out and is still going.
The quantities are oh so familiar, but your methods are more brutal than mine.

I knew I had a real problem the first time with my wonderful old PF when water started spraying out of the rear vents behind the armrest...….
Since then I've just got more accepting of the inevitability of it all and "just deal with it" as necessary.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!