A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 29th July 2010, 09:26 AM

Well, after driving around with Xenon Plus headlights, the beam pattern definitely flicks up on the near side. Driving abroad with the headlights like this is not an option IMO.

I'm guessing that there are two pathetic options then...

1. Adjust the beam yourself to the lowest position using the adjustment screws.

2. Use some sort of deflective tape on the lense - again with trial and error.

Audi really haven't though this through!

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 5th August 2010, 10:25 PM

Any other ideas on this?

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 27th November 2010, 01:52 PM

>> Any other ideas on this?

If you open ETKA page for BI Xenons there's a part number for original stickers that can be purchased from Audi. Part number is 4D0 941 981. This is the last part number on ETKA page for the BI Xenon headlamp picture.

This set of stickers is available only for BI Xenon headlights. It's not shown in ETKA for other types of headlights.

I didn't bother checking if these are the stickers that Audi makes for cars from continent who want to come to the UK, or for the UK cards who want to travel to continent. they can be universal though (i mean sticky material from both sides).

But still, if they are designed for continent cars only, then we can use the pattern and basically make our own set with scissors and some sticky 3M tape. The idea is to use the same pattern from the other side :-)

Last edited by notorious; 27th November 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 27th March 2015, 10:24 PM

Default Good old fashioned black tape then..

Just had a look at this old thread, as I'll be over the water for at least some of next week, and possibly driving at night. Even though I've had the S8 round the continent on at least two previous European holidays, I can't for the life of remember if there was a smarter VAGCOM/other solution.

If not, I'll just get some tape or nip down to Halfords (which may be what I did on previous occasions…)
Old 27th March 2015, 10:46 PM

The beam pattern is very flat so I'd be surprised if you dazzled anyone tbh

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 28th March 2015, 07:25 AM

I'm pretty sure the last time I looked into this you did literally nothing.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th March 2015, 09:11 AM

Audi messed this up on the Bi-xenons, I wish they just gave us a lever.
Having now gone through the hassle of importing a LHD car, I can confirm the following:
1) bi-xenons do go to the left/right enough to fail MOT, so they do need adjusting
2) they cant be adjusted using Vagcom
3) Audi dealer adjusted mine manually using the plastic gears and it passed MOT (or did they?)
4) The following MOT I failed on the headlights again???

So I'm going to have to go back to Audi to get a more neutral adjustment to pass UK Mot. I marked the plastic adjustment gears before going to Audi, so that's how I know they manually moved the gears, but clearly not enough.
Old 28th March 2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Audi messed this up on the Bi-xenons, I wish they just gave us a lever.
Having now gone through the hassle of importing a LHD car, I can confirm the following:
1) bi-xenons do go to the left/right enough to fail MOT, so they do need adjusting
2) they cant be adjusted using Vagcom
3) Audi dealer adjusted mine manually using the plastic gears and it passed MOT (or did they?)
4) The following MOT I failed on the headlights again???

So I'm going to have to go back to Audi to get a more neutral adjustment to pass UK Mot. I marked the plastic adjustment gears before going to Audi, so that's how I know they manually moved the gears, but clearly not enough.
The internals of the bi-xenons do vary for LHD/RHD. I would expect the reflector element to be a different shape, so if you were able to buy some RHD bi-xenons that are broken in some way, but the internals are OK, then you should be able to swap the necessary bits. I've had mine apart and it's really not difficult to dismantle them - you unscrew the adjusters all the way with the lens off and all the internals just pull out.

There's a difference between passing MOT and whether you'll blind oncoming traffic for the short time you might go abroad - the fact the headlight is pitching up on the 'wrong' side will make it an MOT fail, but it's unlikely would dazzle in reality.

If I take my S8 abroad I won't touch them, but clearly it's a different ball game when you're living in the country with the car and it's not passing the MOT

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 29th March 2015, 10:45 AM

I just want Audi to re-adjust the headlights to a more neutral setting to pass UK MOT, and maybe that neutral setting will be good for Europe too. If they fail on the next attempt too then I will go down the fiddly route replacing lenses, etc.

Anecdotally, on my previous S8 during numerous Euro trips, never any plastic lenses fitted, probably 10+ long trips, no one ever stopped me to query the RHD headlights, never got a fine.
Old 1st April 2015, 02:34 PM

I'll probably manage to avoid night time driving, though the replies on this thread are generally reassuring that it wouldn't be a big issue if I did - thanks!