A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th September 2016, 04:59 AM

Default Changing Bottom Arms - Any Advice?

Morning all,

The front end of the '8 is starting to knock over uneven surfaces, had a play with a pry bar and the front end, lower rear arm seems rather slack, so I think the bottom arms need replacing. I have paperwork to suggest the upper arms were replaced earlier in the year prior to my ownership so it's them or ARB.

Are the bottom arms a job I should be attempting and can achieve on the driveway? Am I going to run into pinch bolt issues or anything like that? Any advice appreciated!

Thank you,

Ben

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,
Old 19th September 2016, 05:27 PM

I'd suggest removing the ARB as it's quick and easy and go for a test drive without it. If the noise is gone, you've found the culprit.
If it is the ARB, you have to buy it complete as bushings are not available.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:16 PM

I'd agree with that - replaced mine recently and it cured mine of small knocking noises that seemed to only come when the engine was cold or over slight bumps. If I remember correctly the whole ARB was about £130

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd September 2016, 03:22 AM

Disconnected the arb from drop links / c links last night will give it a test on way to work this morning and see what happens.

The noise did seem most apparent over uneven surfaces, which is when you'd expect there to be loading across the ARB so it is possible that is the culprit.

The bushes do still feel very tight on it though and don't look all that unhealthy either, so it could be a real bonus and just worn links.

Will soon find out.

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,