A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th February 2015, 07:50 PM

Default 4.2tdi EPB fault/warning light

Hello all...

My newly acquired A8 has developed a parking brake fault ...

The EPB warning light is now permanently lit.

Also first thing in the morning the brakes feel like they're binding slightly for the first couple of minutes of driving (I'm now not applying the EPB)

I took it to a local garage that my partner's been using for years and he diagnosed a sticking caliper which he said needed replacing...

£240 plus fitting (2 hours) "plus any sensors if they're needed" I did ask him if the caliper could be taken off and freed up or recond
but he didn't want to do that ... I've found a place locallish that will do a basic recon for £30 and was wondering if anybody on here had gone down that route
as opposed to buying a replacement caliper ??

Also has anyone used one of the caliper repair kits that are available online ... What caliper maladies do they rectify and are they worth buying?

And finally!If I can't get it sorted it locally,Can anyone recommend a good Audi mechanic in the Notts /Derby/Leics area that I could get a second opinion from and that would sort the EPB for me?

Many thanks in advance
Old 5th February 2015, 08:31 PM

I guess thats the "troublesome electrical conundrum" as described in an advert for an '8 someone posted today. Well, being a D2 owner I dont have that problem but there WILL be some people on here who will be along to help soon. My advice is to hold fire until you get the normally excellent advice from the gurus on this forum.

and welcome, by the way!
Old 5th February 2015, 09:40 PM

Sticky caliper can cause EPB issues.. I'd chance a recon for 30 quid.

You could also have some moisture in the EPB connector which might cause the motor to not wind back.

I know.. I know..

Old 5th February 2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
I guess thats the "troublesome electrical conundrum" as described in an advert for an '8 someone posted today. Well, being a D2 owner I dont have that problem but there WILL be some people on here who will be along to help soon. My advice is to hold fire until you get the normally excellent advice from the gurus on this forum.

and welcome, by the way!
Thanks for your reply David and the welcome!
Old 5th February 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Sticky caliper can cause EPB issues.. I'd chance a recon for 30 quid.

You could also have some moisture in the EPB connector which might cause the motor to not wind back.
Thanks for your advice PsYcHe

It would be great if it was moisture in the EPB connector! (I'll check that at the weekend)

Failing that,can an amateur spannerman get a caliper off ?
I read somewhere that the piston has to be wound back using some software to tell it to do so??
Would be a much more economical repair if I could do it though!
Old 6th February 2015, 12:53 AM

To change the brake pads the caliper needs to be opened using software (vcds) but you would need the cable and a suitable windows laptop to do it.

But being as you are having trouble releasing the hand brake it's likely not to open anyway.

There should be a ikea style crank Allen key type tool in the tool set that can be used to wind the caliper open in the event of electrical failure.

I would have a go at doing that first when you check the electrical connector.

Do not at any time try and squeeze the piston back in like you would on a traditional caliper.

Good luck and welcome from me too.

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 6th February 2015 at 06:05 AM.
Old 6th February 2015, 07:38 AM

A standard EPB wind-back gadget works on the D3 too, so there's a good chance they have one of those.

I had a similar issue with my PF D3 where it wouldn't unwind one motor, popped the wheel off, checked the connector and it was full of crud.. a quick clean and away I went. Was great fun in 4" of snow

I know.. I know..

Old 7th February 2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
To change the brake pads the caliper needs to be opened using software (vcds) but you would need the cable and a suitable windows laptop to do it.

But being as you are having trouble releasing the hand brake it's likely not to open anyway.

There should be a ikea style crank Allen key type tool in the tool set that can be used to wind the caliper open in the event of electrical failure.

I would have a go at doing that first when you check the electrical connector.

Do not at any time try and squeeze the piston back in like you would on a traditional caliper.

Good luck and welcome from me too.
Del,I checked the electrical connector to no avail ...
so I've decided to take it to a garage not too far from me that has been recommended who are able to do a proper diagnostic check.

Thank you for your advice and the welcome.

Last edited by ChrisM; 7th February 2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 7th February 2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
A standard EPB wind-back gadget works on the D3 too, so there's a good chance they have one of those.

I had a similar issue with my PF D3 where it wouldn't unwind one motor, popped the wheel off, checked the connector and it was full of crud.. a quick clean and away I went. Was great fun in 4" of snow
As per previous post PsYcHe,I've decided to take it to a garage that can do a proper diagnosis on it ...I'll post up how I got on.

Thanks again for your help and advice.
Old 8th February 2015, 11:20 AM

Hi,

ChrisM - welcome to the forum! Hope you get your EPB fault sorted and sorry to jump on your thread.

I get an EPB fault about 1x a month - a few apply and release movements of the EPB and it goes away but given that people are talking about the connections needing cleaning i just wondered if it's easy to get to without taking the wheel of i.e. with some ramps?

Should one clean it with WD40? Silicone spray? Other?

Either way - i'm adding it to my list of regular maintenance items.

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group