A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 27th November 2015, 09:12 PM

I have the 4.2 tdi mine takes 10 mins or so to get up to temp , just looking back over the posts , you say they car behaves with the air masses disconnected , this tells me it's not air ingress to the fuel or the bypass circuit re circulating any air in the fuel .

The temp sensor could cause this like others have said , it's cheap enough to do to rule out , the fault code for rich mixture .....I would say the lamdas are working and reporting the exhaust condition .

Now what would make a rich condition in a diesel ..... so rich is either to much fuel delivered or not enough air , or that the egrs are not flowing the gases which your codes were reporting and the lamda code was backing this up .... egr flow makes rich condition, egr no flow makes a lean condition .

You know back there were I said blank the egrs that's what you need to do now or just diss connect them so they cannot work , if one bank is getting flow and the other bank is not it will
Cause an imbalance between the banks

I'm not getting at you here more generalising , I see this everyday at work folk fitting parts off the back of fault codes or ' guess a part ' they will spend hundreds on parts and not fix it then come to us an moan at the £52 an hour we charge but I will fix it .... just a vac pipe split or summat daft

Customer .....£52 for a split pipe !!!!
Me " well you have spent hundreds and not fixed it so £52 is a bargain "

Yadder , yadder

Back to the plot .... blank or diss connect the egrs then see how it goes , one bit at a time .... carry out tests ......rule out ...... move to next test

Last edited by Mechcanico Lee; 28th November 2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:38 AM

cheers Lee... will you be in position to advise where the temp. sensor is and/or is this something that can be DIYed [easily]?

Ta
Old 30th November 2015, 11:57 AM

Im not sure , you can go into the tech dump sections on here and find it , normally two pin connector and its held in by like a fork type clip
Old 30th November 2015, 03:24 PM

The one for the 3.0tdi is in a coolant pipe at the back on the left (drivers) cylinder bank.

Just for reference, you never know it might be in the same place.
Old 9th December 2015, 02:16 PM

thanks.

Before I place an order for coolant temp. sensor any advise on which one to go for [of the 3 x options on MA site]?

http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/engi...9621_g830.html
Old 9th December 2015, 02:52 PM

I would get a dealer one to be honest , you know it will be right and the correct temp range and so on
Old 9th December 2015, 03:06 PM

Intrigued that they are only the 2-pin design whereas D2 (and I though most of the VAG range) used the 4-pin model which is (now) green.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th December 2015, 03:57 PM

yeah... I checked with a dealer and they have them in stock [~40 quid].

i'll collect it on Fri and give it a go over the weekend... or my info, how easy/difficult is it to install one ?