A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 9th May 2019, 12:49 AM

Default MOT time

Hi peeps mine in due mot in 2 weeks. My front tyres are worn on the outer, does that mean I will need new rubbers?

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 9th May 2019, 11:45 AM

The limit is 1.6mm deep across the central 3/4 of the tyre, so, in theory, if the rest of the tyres meet this requirement, then it should pass.

However, chances are you'll get an advisory because of the outer wear. The question is how bad is the wear on the outside? Has the tread pattern disappeared yet, or worse still, can you see any of the carcass? Then you're looking at a fail.

There is also the human element in it as well, as to how strict the tester is on the day.

UPDATE: Decided to see if I could find anything online about 'legal' requirements and came across a very interesting statement. Check out the following page (from the official MOT guidelines):

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov....#section_5.2.3

It's quite lengthy, so search for the word 'bald', and you will come across the following statement:

Either side of the central three-quarters of the tyre can be devoid of tread (‘bald’).

I've read and re-read that section on 'tread depth', and I still come to the conclusion that the above statement would mean that your tyres 'should' pass (subject to there not being any damage or carcass showing). Don't take my word for it though. Read through it and see what you make of it, and if in doubt, either change the tyres beforehand or print out that section of the guidelines and take it with you on the day.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 9th May 2019, 12:13 PM

Thank you that’s Spot on. No my ones aren’t that bad and the tread depth on the rest of tyre is above legal requirements. But as you say it all depends on the mood of the person carrying out the MOT.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub