A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th May 2020, 06:10 PM

Hi there,

The new Caliper turned up last Monday, alas somewhere in delivery it had been dropped/knocked or something and the EPB motor was cracked around the side near a screw point!

Spoke to the seller and they sent me an EPB which turned up Friday.

Removed the old caliper today. Removed the EPB to give better access. Cleansed the area around the hydraulic attachment with a small screwdriver and small wire brush. Cracked open the hydraulic line bolt whilst still attached. Clamped it with cushioning. Removed the caliper and twisted it round gently on the hose with very little mess.
Popped the pins off the new one and the EPB, opened the bleed nipple and then fitted it carefully back. Left the EPB off a used the break pedal with a bleed thingy to get the caliper working and air out. Tightened the nipple and then fitted the EPB and started the car, did all the tests and bits and seems good. Just fitted the wheel, topped up the fluid and everything seems a go.

Didn't use the carriage as that just seemed a lot of extra hassle for not much gain. I'll epoxy the damaged EPB and i've also got the spare from trying to swap them, so can't see the EPB being much of a hassle for me in the future!!!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)