A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Wheels and Tyres

D3 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 6th April 2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I'm running on four 20" wheels purchased from Roberto who had fitted Accelra. I was gobsmacked at the grip both wet and dry. All I need now is to see how long they last.
And they performed really well in the snow.
First part of your post was very encouraging for me to try them but when somebody says for any summer tyres that they perform well in snow I just find it hard to believe.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 7th April 2019, 04:03 PM

Surely in the small amounts of snow that we receive in this country it is down to driving skill.
Unless you are local you will not be aware of the Manchester Road climb out of Burnley. I have driven coaches up there in snow with cars abandoned all over the road, and even been able to restart after being forced to stop by sliding vehicles. Without the use of chains and we don't put "winter" tyres on. I have driven all over the Alps on winter tours, only occasionally having to resort to chains, but then usually due to ice not snow.

Then again "Quatro" means bags of grip.

All totally subjective.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 7th April 2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Surely in the small amounts of snow that we receive in this country it is down to driving skill.
Unless you are local you will not be aware of the Manchester Road climb out of Burnley. I have driven coaches up there in snow with cars abandoned all over the road, and even been able to restart after being forced to stop by sliding vehicles. Without the use of chains and we don't put "winter" tyres on. I have driven all over the Alps on winter tours, only occasionally having to resort to chains, but then usually due to ice not snow.

Then again "Quatro" means bags of grip.

All totally subjective.
Well said Ray, it's more down to the driver than the tyres

I've got a set of Acceleras on mine at the moment, bought from Roberto, and chosen because of budget at the time and the urgency to replace the Vredesteins which were close to being illegal.

I've pushed them hard in all conditions and they haven't failed yet. They look okay too, so it's been a worthwhile experiment for me.

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 7th April 2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Well said Ray, it's more down to the driver than the tyres
I think to be fair, it's both.

Back in the day (Ray will remember this too) cars had skinny tyres and driving in snow, even really heavy snow, was a matter of being careful and somewhat skilful. I never, ever failed to drive to work, whatever the weather, throughout my working life due to snow. And that was from the early 70s into this millennium.
Sometimes you had to be quite creative to find a way through, but I always got there.

But modern cars have wide, low-profile tyres and they just don't work in snowy conditions. Since putting winter tyres on both my cars a few years back I can say that the difference is like night and day and well worth it if you HAVE to drive whatever the conditions.

I do confess to going out unnecessarily and having a bit of fun quite recently in the S8 when everyone else was struggling to get anywhere and most roads were gridlocked due to several inches of snow.

I'm still keeping separate summer/winter sets for my S8, and the summer ones will go back on relatively soon (Easter?) if we get a predicted lengthy warm spell.
The other car is now shod with all-season tyres, Michelin Cross-Climate Plus.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th April 2019, 04:51 AM

Look everybody drives different
Dont expect Michelin grip and mileage
You get 4 for the price of 1 top brand
As i said ive used them for years and will continue to do so
And i drive like a t--t sometimes

275/35/20 £222 set of 4 Accelera PHI 2 275/35 R20 102 Y

or if you are on 19" £202 set of 4

255/40R19 ACCELERA PHI 100Y XL (CAR SUMMER)

These are trade prices to me i make nothing and i dont deliver..soz

Last edited by roberto; 8th April 2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:30 AM

I didn’t know you had 19s Robert, or I’d have bought a set from you.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 10th April 2019, 05:34 PM

i can get any size cheaper than anyone but i cant deliver
Old 13th April 2019, 11:33 PM

Damn, I am tempted with all the positive reviews. I am soon to switch to summer tyres on A6 and Continentals have not got much tread left so will need to be changed soon anyway. Michelins have been my favourites but at the moment cannot find any decently priced set, mostly single tyres or an odd pair. From what i heard Nankangs have good grip but were wearing quite fast in the past but have improved in last 10 years. Thinking of 215/50R17 or 225/50R17 for A6.

I am also considering taking S4 Cab to Bedford Autodrome before selling it if it can pass noise test. So thinking about another set of alloys 18" with Nankang NS2R 235/40R18 semi slick that could potentially be used on either A6 or S8 in the future even if a bit wrong size.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 14th April 2019, 03:38 PM

I'm firmly in the "separate sets of Michelin-only summers and winters" camp, both bought part-worn - except when Mark/Moltuae gifts me a full set - such a gent , over any new economy brand. Less expensive and more reassuring, but each to their own.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 14th April 2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
i can get any size cheaper than anyone but i cant deliver
Where are you based please Roberto?

DailyMike.
[BSold with regret:]2002 A8 4.2 (40v) Quattro Sport, 18" QS wheels; Prins LPG[/b], Silver; Black leather; newly-refurbished wheels in Anthracite...pics to follow soon!
2000 P38 Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8 LPG, Epsom Green, fully-rebuilt engine (Top-hat liners, new camshaft for better mid-range torque); New S/S sports exhaust...SOUNDS BRILLIANT!
2014 Mondraker TrakkerR; 29-er, 30-speed gear train; rise'n'fall saddle; Mountain bike...NOT a cart-horse!
"JONDOR" a 116' long, 17"6" beam Humber Barge, Built 1950, ex oil tanker, fully refurbished Gardner 6LXC engine for propulsion (one day); requires new marine gearbox; 2-cylinder Petter Diesel engine & 3-cylinder diesel auxilliary engines with 12/24v and 230/415v gensets
"JONDOR" is a slow-burn project, being converted to provide suitable accommodation for wheelchair users and their carer/family for short respite breaks. Currently moored on River Humber at Old Beverley Shipyard
SOLD***2006 LWB Ford Transit 2.4 Diesel, Luton Van; Tail-lift; leaking translucent roof SOLD***

Previous vehicles:
Far too many to list individually, but includes 2005 A8 D3 3.0TDI Quattro Sport; 2007 A6 3.0TDI Avant; 2005 A4 2.0 Avant; 2007 A3 2.0TDI; 7-off Citroens, Many Fords, Austin 1100 (my first car), Lotus 7, Rover SD1 3500; SAAB 9000i, SAAB 9000 turbo; BMW 530; another P38 Range Rover (the crap one with BMW 2500 diesel engine...wouldn't tow the skin off a rice-pudding! )
Daren't even mention the traumatic Morris Marina and Ital's....even an Austin Princess. Brain is now hurting somewhat, so giving up for now...