A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 6th June 2019, 07:20 AM

Default I was a bit short of cash...

...and had fitted some winter tyres at the rear. And they were part-worms.

Before I’m burned at the stake, at the time I was totally brassic and had to get something quickly and kinda on-the-spot. And they had a good 6-7mm tread left. So figured they would do just for a few weeks...surely they’d be safe?

WRONG!!! Seriously, in the wet, it’s like I’m driving on metal rims at the rear. They don’t provide ANY grip in the wet whatsoever, despite all that lovely deep tread depth still left

When funds allow (next week or two), I’m gonna fit new tyres all round.

Any recommendations? The previous S8 I had had P-Zero Direczionale (spelling?) on and I really liked them, but many folk disagree with that finding. I also previously had some Bridgy re-050 which were also pretty damn good.

Basically, ANYTHING would be better than these. They’re a nightmare!
Old 6th June 2019, 07:51 AM

My favourite tyre at the moment is the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. Quiet, comfy, and very grippy. Not cheap - £150 a corner, but worth it on an S8.

Favourite budget tyre is the ThreeA P606. Made of finest Chinesium, these are remarkably not awful and stupidly cheap (£40 a corner!) if you can find them.

Kumho Ecsta are a good middle of the road choice in terms of grip and price.
Old 6th June 2019, 03:46 PM

Michelin Pilot Super Sport are pretty amazing too, you will chicken out before they do
But now they are out of production, their successor is Pilot Sport 4s which I haven't tried yet, the reviews are great.
Old 6th June 2019, 05:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
But now they are out of production, their successor is Pilot Sport 4s which I haven't tried yet, the reviews are great.
PS4s are my current summer tyres. I got them (brand new) last summer so this summer will the second use (just switched back to them a few weeks ago after running Michelin Alpins over winter). They're a very good tyre, in my experience. They're at least as good as the Pilot Super Sports, as you might expect. They're one of the best tyres available (if not the best) in terms of wet and dry grip and stopping distances which, IMO, are THE most important tyre qualities. I care much less about tyre noise, fuel economy and price. I'd rather have the best stopping distances money can buy (within reason). You never know when those few extra metres could be the difference between life and death.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th June 2019, 09:04 AM

PS4 or PS4s?
Old 7th June 2019, 11:17 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I meant PS4 tyres (plural) but, looking at the invoice, what I have are in fact S (or is that Ss).

From the invoice "Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 255/35 R20 Y (97)"

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 7th June 2019, 11:32 AM

Mine is shod all round with Falken Azenis FK510 255/35 R20 97 Y
I previously had the Nangnangs NS2 (as my mate called them) but they were quite hard tyres. Once I put the Falkens on the car, the handling improved a lot. Currently showing up on those tyre sites at around £120 each delivered. Very happy with the Falkens and they also have the badge of honour from 3 laps on the Ring.
Old 9th June 2019, 09:10 AM

Default Tyre's.

Totally agree with Mikkijayne on the Goodyear’s. Still impressed a year or two later with my 275’s .
Find Michelin’s suffer with noise when below 50%, but great grip.
Yokohama’s seam to tramline more at +60% wear.
Dunlop’s are quiet but sidewalls seam weak.
Just observation from experience.....

2007 A8 4.2 TDI Sport Phantom Black/Black leather 20' Alloys
Old 9th June 2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
...and had fitted some winter tyres at the rear. And they were part-worms.

Before I’m burned at the stake, at the time I was totally brassic and had to get something quickly and kinda on-the-spot. And they had a good 6-7mm tread left. So figured they would do just for a few weeks...surely they’d be safe?
Were they old age? Winter tyres usually perform very well in wet but many makes get hard with age and loose grip.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th June 2019, 02:22 AM

I agree with Moltuae on Michelin, all I will buy if available.

I've had PS4s on the M4 for the winter - they came on a spare set of wheels I bought with the intention of putting winters on them, but such a mild winter meant that wasn't necessary.

However, the summer wheels are on more or less semi-slick Pilot Sport Cup 2s which were flipping lethal in anything less than perfect conditions, the difference in traction between these and the PS4 is astonishing. If there is anything the M4 can do, it is show up a tyre lacking traction.

So, PS4 highly recommended by me as an all year round tyre
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011