A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Body and Exterior

D4 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 21st November 2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-M3 View Post
Thanks for that! How is it to access for the D4s?
Should that question be 'How easy is it to access for the D4s?' If so, the answer is I don't know. I've only ever had a problem with the plenum drains on the D2, and don't have a D4.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 21st November 2019, 12:00 PM

Yeah sorry stupid typo.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 21st November 2019, 12:06 PM

There are others on the forum who have had issues with the drains on the D3, so they can best advise. Can't recall ever reading about D4 drain issues on here.

From your signature, could I assume that you're on the hunt for a D4, and just doing some homework on issues with them?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 21st November 2019, 12:09 PM

Yeah I have my eye on D4. Thanks for the tips.

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 21st November 2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
The mind boggles as to the implications of this happening on an EV. Considering the issues most of us have experienced with our cars on water ingress, you'd think they'd spend a few more euros trying to design out these problems.
I'd happily forego variable-height suspension and such for "No wet carpets". Get the basics right, Audi. This is the last one I'll ever buy.
Old 21st November 2019, 08:43 PM

This is not just winter. This is an Audi winter

This is after pumping out 10 litres of water the other day when I discovered my A6 was raining on the inside after living under a tree for a month. At least its simple enough to strip everything out of this to get to the drains without having to remove the drivetrain or dashboard!

Its not just Audi though - this is characteristic German auto-industry arrogance just like their sealed for life gearboxes. A friend drives an assortment of BMWs and they all have water ingress issues too.

I was reading about oil starvation issues with Mercedes' AMG supercharged V8s the other day. So over-confident were they in their meticulous enineering, they didn't bother to fit an oil pressure warning system to the engine! Consequently the oil starvation is only discovered when it puts a rod through the block

All that being said, I'd rather drive a soggy German than a Japanese appliance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191119_162208.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	22412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191119_162414.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	22413  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 21st November 2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
A friend drives an assortment of BMWs and they all have water ingress issues too.
Sure do. My son just arrived at our house in his 5 year old X5. Water pouring in through the interior lights...……
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 24th November 2019, 09:31 PM

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
This is not just winter. This is an Audi winter

This is after pumping out 10 litres of water the other day when I discovered my A6 was raining on the inside after living under a tree for a month. At least its simple enough to strip everything out of this to get to the drains without having to remove the drivetrain or dashboard!

Its not just Audi though - this is characteristic German auto-industry arrogance just like their sealed for life gearboxes. A friend drives an assortment of BMWs and they all have water ingress issues too.

I was reading about oil starvation issues with Mercedes' AMG supercharged V8s the other day. So over-confident were they in their meticulous enineering, they didn't bother to fit an oil pressure warning system to the engine! Consequently the oil starvation is only discovered when it puts a rod through the block

All that being said, I'd rather drive a soggy German than a Japanese appliance
Exactly what put me off buying a cls55 id still like one though
Old 15th November 2023, 03:06 PM

Hi all. I've just been doing a bit of pre-winter maintenance on my D4. I too noticed water under the plastic cover where the wiper mechanism lives. I refer to this area as the scuttle but is it sometimes referred to as the plenum? Anyway I removed the wiper arms and the plastic panel and found some water in there but not a great amount. I found two grommets, one each end of the area which were obviously drains and poked them with a flexi wire. Both released some water which came out from behind the wheel arches. The water level has dropped significantly but there is still a small amount left. Looking at the diagram kindly posted by Steamship it seems there are 5 (?) drain grommets for the D4 but I could only locate these 2. Rain stopped play at this point so I'll return to this on a better day. Have I read the diagram correctly and there are indeed 5 drains? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th November 2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saff View Post
Looking at the diagram kindly posted by Steamship it seems there are 5 (?) drain grommets for the D4 but I could only locate these 2.
Just double checked and that is the correct diagram. Later versions of the D4 only had four. Anyway, can't find any photos showing their location. I did however come across the following post about how difficult they were to see, and how they did it:

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/...91#post1058891

UPDATE: Page 123 of the following PDF has a little information on the plenum drains, but only seems to imply there are two: 27-Service Manual Maintenance.pdf

Last edited by steamship; 15th November 2023 at 07:31 PM. Reason: PDF Link