A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 25th December 2018, 12:03 PM

Default Engine ran a bit rough yesterday

I scanned my car with OBD-Eleven tool yesterday after hearing it sound less than delightfully smooth and discovered an engine code of P1107

P1107

O2 Sensor Heating Circ.,Bank2-Sensor1 Short to B+

Any ideas on where this sensor is located? Had a quick browse through my copy of ElsaWin to no avail... The car seems to be running OK now.

Last edited by johnny_quattro; 25th December 2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Stoopid typo in title
Old 25th December 2018, 01:35 PM

I'm assuming you have a PF A8 based on the year. If so, then it only has 2 O2 sensors, which the following diagram might help locate for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8D2PFlambdasesnors.png
Views:	321
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	20573  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 25th December 2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I'm assuming you have a PF A8 based on the year. If so, then it only has 2 O2 sensors, which the following diagram might help locate for you.
I've only ever had the facelift model, 1999 A8 and now my 2000 A8L
I am going to make two assumptions here:

[1] My car has 4 sensors, and not two? (complete guess)
[2] This is a sensor located somewhere along the exhaust pipes?

Thanks for your response, steamship ;-)
and a merry Christmas to all.
Old 25th December 2018, 09:01 PM

FL has four - two in front of the cats at the top of the downpipes and two behind the cats. Bank 2 sensor 1 is passenger side front - just at the back of the cylinder head.
Old 26th December 2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
FL has four - two in front of the cats at the top of the downpipes and two behind the cats. Bank 2 sensor 1 is passenger side front - just at the back of the cylinder head.
Thanks MJ for the confirmation. I'll probably get it booked in with DS Autowerks in Crawley this week sometime to take a look.
Old 27th December 2018, 07:02 AM

Dave will love you for that one! Looking at pics of the cats off my old car here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12234

You can see the passenger side one is, mercifully, part of the shorter cat so doesn't involve removal at the downpipe.

Cat will potentially need to come off and much soaking of the thread to get it out. I don't recall it being an arse-buckling price either. Might just be possible to remove in situ

A

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 27th December 2018, 12:42 PM

Default More fun for Dave

Thanks for your update, Adrian.

I'm sure Dave will take it in his stride... although having said that, I've noticed recently that my current A8L has started to display that unmistakable weird oil smell when a seal goes and it starts to drip on the catalytic converter. This was something my previous A8 suffered from. It's made me wonder whether the sensor is getting temporarily coated with oil from the aforementioned leak as I've had no rough running since?

Let's see what DS Autowerks discover.
Old 27th December 2018, 03:58 PM

Usually the burning oil smell is from a gearbox seal so much lower down than the front O2 sensors. The engine doesn't tend to leak where it could get on to the sensors, but it wouldn't hurt them anyway since the active bits are inside the exhaust pipe.
Old 28th December 2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Usually the burning oil smell is from a gearbox seal so much lower down than the front O2 sensors. The engine doesn't tend to leak where it could get on to the sensors, but it wouldn't hurt them anyway since the active bits are inside the exhaust pipe.
Thanks MJ; I now consider myself educated.
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:40 AM

Default Note to self - pull finger out and do things instead of prevaricating

This one has come back to bite me on the bum....

Car started perfectly today and drove for around 6 miles and then I suffered a huge loss of power. I thought my gearbox was playing up and then I heard the engine running like a bag of spannners, like 3 or 4 cylinders instead of 8 so it was as lumpy as duck... intentional misspelling there. I eventually shafted the battery due to the countless attempts to get the engine to 'catch; as the engine simply wouldn't run normally and tickover was something around 200-300rpm. No power to move forward at all.

Was able to switch the engine off and read codes which came back with the aforementioned issue with the O2 sensor/bank message so I'll have to arrange for a low-loader no doubt in order to get Helga back to a nice warm garage. RAC didn't pick up the phone, and when I tried to join the AA (as a back-up option), they told me it was going to take them until 01:30 to reach me so I kindly refused their offer. Dad came over in the diesel Clio and it managed to tow my limo/tank about 300 yards up the road to a safer place. My only advice from tonight's escapade is that I know now exactly how much work my PAS pump works, as well as the servo-assistance on the brakes and it took almost a herculean effort from my skinny frame to either brake or turn the steering wheel.

I'll get the car back to the local garage. DS Autowerks is not an option at the moment but I will have to sort that out first thing in the morning,