A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 9th September 2015, 08:14 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting for a minute I'd be seriously impressed, and I'm gutted I missed out trying one - I'd really like to experience one.

I just think it looks naff for the price, inside and out. The battery seems to be the only reason to consider a Tesla, right? So 'if' I were in the market for a car such as a Tesla I'd wait for a more established brand to come to the party.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 9th September 2015, 08:26 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'm sure we met, though we were staying at Penmaenuchauf not The George. Irish Green Pearl FL D2 S8 with S8 personal plate (see sig).
Ah yes. I think I remember the car. We probably did meet -- I'm hopeless at remembering names and faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I guess you get used to it, but I still remember the first time I really used the power of my first S8 (grey one in sig pic) when passing someone who was already going quite quickly.
SWMBO was with me and vaguely noticed we had speeded up somewhat, I didn't tell her that we had just added over 50mph in a very short time with no fuss whatsoever.
A brutal neck-snap is no longer something I'm interested in TBH, just smooth excessive power.
Totally with you there. I frequently have moments like that in my S8, and it never gets boring. I just love the smooth power delivery and the roar of the V8; no EV could ever replace that.

My opinion of Teslas, pre-Snowdonia, was exactly the same as yours. While the acceleration is instant, it is also very smooth. But they're so much more than just a quick electric car. You really have to experience it for yourself. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th September 2015, 08:35 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
I just think it looks naff for the price, inside and out. The battery seems to be the only reason to consider a Tesla, right? So 'if' I were in the market for a car such as a Tesla I'd wait for a more established brand to come to the party.
I have to agree, outwardly the styling could be improved upon. From some angles, in the right colour, I think it's quite stunning, but it does look a bit of a mishmash of a few different cars, and I'm not so keen on the front-end styling. I did rather like the interior though; it befitted the futuristic feel of the driving experience.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th September 2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting for a minute I'd be seriously impressed, and I'm gutted I missed out trying one - I'd really like to experience one.
I'm sure - as you work for part of the Audi network - Tesla would be delighted to let you try one. Just let me know, and I'll put you in touch
Old 9th September 2015, 09:56 PM

Tesla were actually at Audi not long ago, never asked why.

Thanks for the offer, TinTin. I'd have no intention of buying one, I'd merely be satisfying curiosity so I won't take you up on it but should we have another one at a meet, I'd love to try one at a ride and drive day type event.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 13th September 2015, 09:43 PM

Default Here y'go Jim...

- another petrolhead pro-Tesla article

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...ctive-on-cars/
Old 16th September 2015, 07:24 PM

Amar is right, lets wait and see what the big marques come up with.
Porsche is already jumping in, and interior wise it looks much better than Tesla S.
Acceleration is on par, maybe only 0.2s slower.

http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...aspx#/interior

Some things I don't like though. No.1 they are planning to use permanent magnet motors.
Shame, there are much better technologies out there superior to even Tesla's motor.
Chorus motor or Reluctance motor > Asynchronous motor > Permanent magnet motor

Second thing is the doors that open like a Rolls royce phantom, does not look good or sporty.

And the stance is too low. It looks amazing sure, but I want to be able to go over speed bumps and not bottom out over potholes

Last edited by Goran; 16th September 2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 17th September 2015, 07:39 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default But the Europeans don't like them apparently

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...=BBD091615_BIZ
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 17th September 2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
As you may recall Jim, when we were in the Tesla I pointed out the rather underwhelming interior and said that they would be competing with equivalent cost vehicles such as top model BMWs etc.......
Old 17th September 2015, 07:06 PM

"BMW i3 outsold Model S more than 30% in Germany through August"

Surprising! The i3 looks terrible (at least to me) and has really narrow tyres mostly for range, which I think was a bad idea.
Interior looks good though.