A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 12th January 2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Just a minor point on removal/replacement.
The tool you use is turned 180 degrees between removal and installation mode, hopefully not a huge change in angle but how much will depend on the design of the tool you have. I had a bit of a struggle to get it onto one of the clips for removal.

So, when you put it back together just decide carefully where to place the clip so that it's easy to get at for both jobs.
IIRC I removed the side pipe first then had to bend and twist a fair bit to get at the one underneath.

I've looked where they are. Tool was just from ebay so hope its up to the job
The one underneath did look like a bit of a faff!
Old 12th January 2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_le_b View Post
Tool was just from ebay
Mine too, about £7.50 I think. Not great, but did the job.
Once the side pipe is disconnected you can be pretty brutal bending and twisting to get at the bottom one.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th January 2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Mine too, about £7.50 I think. Not great, but did the job.
Once the side pipe is disconnected you can be pretty brutal bending and twisting to get at the bottom one.
Maybe the same one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1213719467...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 12th January 2015, 02:04 PM

Different seller, but exact same tool.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 12th January 2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_le_b View Post
Eureka! This is the problem, found this was the noise this afternoon
Can anybody help with a part number so I can order a new one
I assume its easy enough to change over
Thanks
Excellent! That's a easy fix.
If you end up needing a new one I think it is part no. 077103245B
for a 2001 S8. I think I paid the dealer around £100.

Its probably making a noise because the orange rubber diaphragm has split or fallen apart, but worth checking anyway just in case it just needs some cleaning.
Old 12th January 2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I think I paid the dealer around £100.
I think Mark has already ordered one, but I got one from the USA for the princely sum of £27 including shipping!
Old 13th January 2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I think Mark has already ordered one, but I got one from the USA for the princely sum of £27 including shipping!
I have ordered one - but because I was in a bit of a hurry I went with the dealer - cost £67 but it will be here Thursday,so I an fit at the week-end
Old 13th January 2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Ah, should have read more carefully.
Was the USA one an Audi original part, or if not, is it working fine?
I'll be needing another one for the current S8, no harm in saving some money
Old 13th January 2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Ah, should have read more carefully.
Was the USA one an Audi original part
Yes, found it on eBay. Works fine.
Plenty available in US (and some in Germany), you just need to look carefully at the shipping and (for US) customs charges.

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th January 2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 15th January 2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, found it on eBay. Works fine.
Plenty available in US (and some in Germany), you just need to look carefully at the shipping and (for US) customs charges.

Parts not arrived yet - will it do damage driving it??
Its not noisy all the time............
Thanks