A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th June 2014, 11:08 AM

Default Orange Evaporator Tubes

Folks - I went through the process of draining the aircon condensed water catchy thingy (I know all the technical terms) last night and did my best to clear the orange evaporator tubes using a rubber pipe and an old bike pump (as I don't have a posh air compressor). The thing is, I can't be very sure it's now clear. Where do they come out? If I was on ramps, would I be able to see the underside of them? Is it safe to poke a length of wire down there, or is that just going to split the rubber? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

....oh yes and how the hell do you get the drivers side panel/carpet section back on again..... (I'm claimed to Mrs Prof Peach I'd left it off to dry it out).

Cheers
Old 27th June 2014, 11:13 AM

No, don't poke anything through them!
You can just pull them out completely and wash in a bowl of soapy water. If you keep them warm (so they are soft) they push back in quite easily.
They just dribble out around the transmission tunnel so you just see water dripping out under the car.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th June 2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
how the hell do you get the drivers side panel/carpet section back on again
With difficulty.
If you've got it out you've quite likely broken (or don't have) some secondary mounting brackets for the drivers knee panel as that is fixed to a (plastic) support bracket on the side panel.

It's a lot easier to get back if you take out the footrest AND knee panel (and both layers of carpet mats).
Then with the seat right back it's a matter of sliding and wiggling until all the tabs are under the relevant overlaps.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th June 2014, 11:19 AM

OK - so popping them out sounds like a sensible and safe plan. Thanks for that.

I'll look forward to getting the panel back in then. It's not just me being a useless muppet then - good news.

Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 11:24 AM

The drivers knee panel has IIRC about 5 fixings:
Pop off the plastic trim below the steering cowling and you'll see 2 of them - Torx of some sort, bit tricky to get at.
There's one going up inside the stowage recess.
Finally one each at the bottom corners, left and right. The left one connects to the (presumably broken?) bracket on the transmission side panel.
In theory you have to take the knee panel off to take the side panel out, but many don't.......

Last edited by HPsauce; 27th June 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 27th June 2014, 11:33 AM

I didn't, but the atatchy thingy that connects to the knee panel isn't broken. More luck than judgement.
Old 30th June 2014, 12:36 PM

Thanks HP - much easier to clean the orange tubes once out and as you say, hot and soapy they slip back in quite easily (fnarr fnarr).

The panels took a little longer. As suggested I removed the knee panel which made things easier, but it still took ages to finish it off. I still can't get the screws back through the carpet section, but they don't seem to be that important.

Then my phone started ringing. Where the hell did I put that then......

I put it on top of the transmission tunnel. It had somehow slipped down between the left side panel and the tunnel. Doh. Of it comes again!

....and that is why idiots like me shouldn't work on cars.

Still love the car though!
Old 30th June 2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
Thanks HP - much easier to clean the orange tubes once out and as you say, hot and soapy they slip back in quite easily (fnarr fnarr).

The panels took a little longer. As suggested I removed the knee panel which made things easier, but it still took ages to finish it off. I still can't get the screws back through the carpet section, but they don't seem to be that important.

Then my phone started ringing. Where the hell did I put that then......

I put it on top of the transmission tunnel. It had somehow slipped down between the left side panel and the tunnel. Doh. Of it comes again!

....and that is why idiots like me shouldn't work on cars.

Still love the car though!
The carpet screws appear to be missing/ineffective on many cars so you will not be alone there! but i did laugh at the fact that you had incorporated your phone into the panelling... sounds like a neat mod, ok if you have bluetooth and take the car everywhere!