A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 7th March 2019, 07:43 PM

Default Battery help

As some of you know my D3 sees very little use these days.

This evening the car alarm started sounding on the Audi, so I unlocked the car and got but no interior lights. Key in ignition and nothing, had to use emergency release to get key out.

Obviously the battery is flat, so out came the jump leads and I got my diesel Volvo into position to jump start the Audi. I hooked the + terminal directly to the battery and the - side to the battery manager and all the lights came on at which point the Audi successfully started.

She has been outside idling now for nearly an hour, but the battery status on the MMI still only has one bar.

The worrying thing is I connected a multimeter to the battery before doing anything and it said way less than 10V. I am guessing the battery may have been to deeply discharged to be recoverable, and may end up needing a new battery. I did this because my battery charger would not start to charge the battery.

With the engine running the volt meter is showing 14V

I am just heading out to buy some more petrol, the Audi does not have much left in it so I can leave it running.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 7th March 2019, 08:51 PM

Well after 2 hours running and a short drive the battery voltage with engine off was 12.4 volts, battery meter still stuck on 10%, lets see what tomorrow brings.

Interesting observation, the parking sensors have started working again.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 7th March 2019, 09:52 PM

Manny,

A good battery should read 12.6v after removal of residual charge. After charging battery fully, the rule of thumb used to be leave headlights on for 2 minutes to remove residual charge then check, but that was when they had standard 55w bulbs - not sure what load halogen or LED would give though.

If <12.2v, you need a new one, if >12.2v and <12.6v, try a bit of discharge and then fully charge again, then do check as above, but in reality in 99% of cases with modern batteries, it will be dead.

You would be amazed at the spurious messages I used to get out of my Jags when battery was on the way out.

With c. 14v charging voltage, sounds like your charging circuit is good though.

Mark.
2015 A8 D4 FL 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2012 A8 D4 3.0tdi SE Exec LWB with some options
2009 A8 D3 3.0tdi SE not many options but Viezu mapped to 292bhp
2005 XJ 4.2 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB with lots of options
2000 XJ 4.0 V8 Petrol Sovereign LWB not many options
+ lots of Fords and Volvo
Old 7th March 2019, 11:35 PM

Yup, I've been there so many times when batteries get "marginal", wasting time and effort trying to tickle them back to life and eventually failing miserably.
Just bite the bullet and get a new one.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th March 2019, 12:22 AM

New batteries are quite expensive so to try makes sense but be prepared that it has fallen off it's perch.
Problem with a lot of modern chargers is that they will not charge a flat battery. They are too clever and think that if the batterey voltage is very low then iot is dead so dangerous to charge at the high current it seems to need.
I don't want to get all technical, just be careful with intelligent chargers.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 8th March 2019, 09:59 AM

I've got an old-school Halfords charger that has got me out of a hole more than once as it doesn't care!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th March 2019, 12:06 PM

Well she started ok after being left overnight, so I left her running for.a bit and drove it work. I'll do 350 miles that s weekend. Was going to use the volvo but will take the Audi instead.
Old 8th March 2019, 03:32 PM

I'm sure the old girl will be grateful of the attention.

Old 17th March 2019, 01:29 PM

I did over 350 miles last weekend without incident in the D3, battery holding up well. Now she is back to her hardly being used mode will see how well it copes. I took her on a 40 mile round trip last Thursday.

I really need to sell this car, she needs more attention than I can currently afford to give her as I limp from one temporary low paid job to another. She is way overdue a service and cambelt change (both on time and not miles).