A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 8th October 2017, 04:22 AM

Default 2001 Audi A8 L (D2) ABS Braking Issue

I've been searching around for hours and I've found a few similar resolutions but nothing specific, so sorry if this issue is commonly posted but here it is.

I have a 2001 A8 L with 176k on the odometer and for the last 1k miles, I've been dealing with the issue of the brakes seeming slipping when at around 5 mph coming to a stop. the ABS light flashed but I'm not sure how it flashed at that time, I noticed it a few times. This was bad but I needed it to drive. After dealing with that, the car's been sitting for nearly two months unfortunately.

When I finally drove it yesterday for the first time, the usually responsive, sticky-feeling brakes were much worse. So my real issue now is that ALL THE TIME, when I brake, my brake pedal goes nearly to the ground and braking is scary. I parked it and haven't driven it since. I noticed the ABS light flashing at one point while driving and it was very odd. It flashed inconsistently, and more than 3 times, but shut off around the time when the car stopped, or when I started to drive again, I don't think the light turning off had any correlation. Since I had ABS issues before

Has anybody experienced this, or can help with it? I'm guessing my ABS went to ****, but maybe it's simpler than that hopefully. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, that'd be great. Also, I can have a parts car on standby to make the repair less costly, so I'd like this fixed ASAP. Thanks.
Old 8th October 2017, 07:59 AM

The intermittent ABS triggering at slow speeds is either dirty sensor, ring or poor connection in connector or broken wire. the pedal going down is more likely to be hydraulic issues or air in the system. Check for fluid level, leaks and air in the system. For ABS issue you need to do VCDS read to see if any fault codes are logged to see which wheel/sensor is giving the issue and also check measuring blocks showing wheel speed to see which wheel reading differs from others. You could also temporarily pull the ABS fuse to deactivate ABS/ ESP and see how it feels.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Tags
2001, a8 l, abs, braking, issue