A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 6th March 2012, 10:42 AM

Default Decel rpm fluctuation

Ok, first question on the forum for me so please be gentle.

I did a search and found a few g'box shift issues, but nothing along the lines of what I've got.

When going down hill I lift off throttle completely and allow the trans to control the engine braking (where fuel use goes to zero). Instead of getting a consistent brake effect, I get a fluctuation where the engine rpms go up and down about 200rpm and I can feel the car surging slightly as the rpms fluctuate in time with the engine braking coming starting and finishing.

I note the car is 2003 D3, has 120,000km's (75,000miles) and shes not had an ATF change due to dealer refusing to (I'm about to read the thread about ATF changes.)

Firstly, does this make sense and any ideas?

And, how do I know if the g'box map has been updated?

Last edited by AusA8; 6th March 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:00 AM
Director at A8 Parts

I had the same problem with my 2003 D3 4.2 and I managed to fix it by checking and topping up the Transmission Fluid. My car had done 120,000 miles and as far as I could tell had never had the gearbox touched, so I followed the workshop guidelines and checked the fluid level and ended up adding almost a litre and a half of fluid. After this it was much smoother to change, but more importantly it fixed the problem I had with the revs fluctuating on over-run just as you describe.

2001 TT 8N 1.8T Quattro with a loud exhaust!
2000 A8 D2 3.7Q Non Sport Ming Blue
1999 A8 D2 4.2Q Non Sport Santorin Blue
2002 A6 C5 Allroad 2.5 TDi Silver with Black Leather
2001 A2 1.4 TDi
2006 A6 C6 2.4 Quattro Avant Canyon Red

At Work to Drive:

1997 S8 Pearl White Solar Roof, Electric Heated Rear Seats, Blinds, Bose, Cruise, Headlamp Wash, Ski Hatch
1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6, Air Con, Electric Roof, Leather, Hard Top, Headlight Wash
2008 Fiesta Sportvan x2
2002 Transit 2.4 LWB
2007 VW Crafter Recovery Truck
2013 VW Caddy Highline, DAB, Heated Seats, Touch Screen Stereo, Headlamp Wash and Webasto with Telestart
2010 RS6 Daytona Grey, Twin Pane, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Soft Close and some extra horses.

At Work to Hire:

4x 6 Berth Sunlight Motorhomes
Old 7th March 2012, 01:12 AM

Great, thanks for the info.

I'll look into it, is there somewhere that I can find the workshop guidelines that you refer to?

After reading some other posts about our trans, I thought it may have been the pedal switch or indeed a complete ATF change.

Cheers

Last edited by AusA8; 7th March 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12th April 2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david@a8parts View Post
I had the same problem with my 2003 D3 4.2 and I managed to fix it by checking and topping up the Transmission Fluid. My car had done 120,000 miles and as far as I could tell had never had the gearbox touched, so I followed the workshop guidelines and checked the fluid level and ended up adding almost a litre and a half of fluid. After this it was much smoother to change, but more importantly it fixed the problem I had with the revs fluctuating on over-run just as you describe.
Just had ZF check the box fully. All programs, valves, fluid etc all 100% perfect.

Back to the drawing board.

Any other ideas anyone?