A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 20th February 2018, 04:30 PM

Default Front Ashtray

I'm lucky because it has never been used as an ashtray, just somewhere for SWMBO to keep her phone charger and leads.
Somebody mentioned a few days back how on nearly every bump in the road their ashtray would open. This made me realise that mine had developed the same problem over the last few weeks.
Whilst doing something else I had to take the ashtray out and inside the holder I found this.
20180220_114155.jpg

I think that it should be a complete circle. That is a full gear wheel.
I believe that it should sit on the white spigot and engage in the larger semi gear of the ashtray front cover.
20180220_114244.jpg

Could someone look in theirs for me and see if I am correct?
Next question, does anyone have a spare?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180220_114155.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	18016  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180220_114244.jpg (390.1 KB, 586 views)

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 20th February 2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 20th February 2018, 06:07 PM

You are indeed correct Ray. I just checked mine, and yes it should be a complete circle, and does sit on the white spigot.

I was also the one who mentioned about opening going over bumps. When I removed the ashtray to have a look, I did notice that the metal flap on the ashtray itself has a pretty powerful spring on it. Just wondering if I didn't seat it properly and that was causing the cover to open. I've reseated it as firmly as I can, so time will tell.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 20th February 2018, 06:50 PM

Thanks Sean.
Nice to know that I've managed to solve another problem.
All I need now is a small gear. I note that the front trim can be changed easily so at worst case I'll have to hit the kid's money box and buy a complete from Prestige (Our sponsors).
One problem I have is the cup holder lid does not freely come all the up when I open it. I think I may have caught something as I replaced the BIG trim piece. I'll pull it back out and check.
Oh, I am rich, found a fifty pence piece in there. AND my MPG will probably be better for all the sticky fluff I pulled out of it.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 20th February 2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Oh, I am rich, found a fifty pence piece in there. AND my MPG will probably be better for all the sticky fluff I pulled out of it.
Lucky duck. All I found was the sticky fluff.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds