A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 22nd June 2011, 10:45 AM

Default FBB box grizzles

Dear All,

My beloved blue boy is dripping from the transmission on to the CATS, having contcted the stealers, and purchased the appropriate seal, I set about changing the little blighter.

After having to disc cut 2 out of 3 exhaust flange bolts off (WHY does no one seem to Copper grease exhaust bolts????) teased the 6mmA/F capscrews from the flange, and managed to break the aluminium heat shield after only being able to extract one of the two retaining bolts,(Many thanks to the merchant who was there before, and crackered the Torx headed bolt) I gained access to the central bolt, extracted this, pushed the prop shaft to one side, and carefully extracted the flange, shortly followed by the leaking seal.
Examination revealed a subtle difference in seals, but the dimensions all seemed to stack up, so I swapped the seals.
As re assembly followed, I noticed a small amount of seepage from the new seal, which I found odd. Later enquiries revealed that Audi had superceded the part, and I now need a new flange (£180!!!!) because THEY have changed the spec!!
Unhappy about this, I contacted VAG at Milton Keynes, spoke with a very helpful man, named Simon, who followed this through for me, but came back with a firm "No" to any financial assistance from Audi.
Needless to say, I will soon be under my car again, this time I have ordered a double lip seal, made from Viton(The rubber compound) of the exact dimensions required, this will be fitted, lips filled with grease, and I expect there to be no more seepage from this joint.

I will update this thread with results, costs etc very shortly, and also include people and places of supply, stuff Audi, and their £180 with no assistance!!!

Best regards to all on the site.

Steve
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:51 AM

Bloody Audi

Fair play to you having a go at changing the seal. Do you have access to a vehicle lift?

Yeah baby!!

2002 Aqua Blue S8 with Milltek - Now sold

SL55 AMG Silver with designo red leather and 20" Carlsson 1/16 Utlralight Wheels
Old 22nd June 2011, 08:37 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Steve,

What were the part numbers of the seal please?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:58 AM

Hi Mike,

The seal part No is 018-409-399B.

However, the seal dimensions are 38 X 52 X 7, with the original having an inclined lip on the outer face, I have subsequently discovered that this seal is for a 4.2 motor, not my 3.7.

Sadly I do not have access to a vehicle list, although it is something I have given serious consideration to acquiring. The seal was changed with the car front on drive up ramps, and a professional type trolley jack under the N/S rear wheel, with chocks on the O/S rear wheel, this gave sufficient access room even for my large belly!!!!

I will report back when new substitute seals have landed and been fitted.

Rest assured, if I can devise a work around, then I'll be here reporting, especially after the shoddy treatment issued by Audi, help them steal less from us guys!!!

Best regards to all,

Steve
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:23 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Steve,

The reason I asked for the part number was to compare against the one I used recently. I have just done the very same job with the same part number and it worked perfectly. Did you clean the output shaft with 000 wire wool to clean any residue off before re-assembly?

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 24th June 2011, 07:57 AM

Hi Mike,
The seal journal was throughly cleaned with paint pre wipe, and a wire woll soaked in WD40.
I believe the seals are a different construction, the correct one fitted by Audi to my 3.7 had a forward facing lip, possibly for spacing purposes, or possibly to increase the amount of sealing force, I'm currently unsure which is the intended purpose, but the new seal did not have this facial lip, I am intending to re commence battle on Monday morning, as I now have the non standard seals in my possesion.

I shall report back post operation, I have , incidentally machined up a 38 diameter spigot, and tried the new seal over it, the fit is cosiderably improved when compared to the original item, with the sealing edges and garter springs expanding far more than on the original item.

Best regards,
Steve
Old 19th October 2011, 11:00 AM

Hi Guys(& Gals!)
I have recently changed the standard seal mentioned in earlier posts, to one of Viton, of the correct basic dimensions, and double lip style. I know that Viton does wear the journal, but as I do so few miles, I'm hoping to get away with it while I source a more friendly seal. While I was under the car, I went to my local stealers, and bought all the gear necessary for a box oil and filter change-£177 and a couple of days later and I'm under the car!!

Job done, on my 3.7 I noted I could access all the pan retaining bolts without removing the cat, but I did need to remove a couple of brace straps to facilitate pan removal.

I have run the car around for a few days, and all seems well, experiencing no problems on a recent trip to Gatwick-a round trip of some 250 miles, set cruise to 80, and away! Slowing to 50/60 around the M25/23 according to traffic conditiions.

All seems oil tight, and the changes given by the box are phenomenal, SO much smoother! (Although, I must say, I was saddened when draining the oil, to find I extracted a paltry 3 litres!!!!!!!)

I should also add that on a brim to brim fuel consumption test, I recorded a 27.7mpg average, that pleased me considerably.

I hope you all find this informative, when I locate a less abrasive seal I will post accordingly

Regards to all,
Steve
Old 19th October 2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy885 View Post
(Although, I must say, I was saddened when draining the oil, to find I extracted a paltry 3 litres!!!!!!!)
Sounds to me like you didn't get all the old stuff out, it took me and my bro ages to get all of the old stuff out
Old 19th October 2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Sounds to me like you didn't get all the old stuff out, it took me and my bro ages to get all of the old stuff out

Or to put it another way, how much did you have to put in?
Old 19th October 2011, 07:59 PM

Hi Greynada,
It took approx 6 litres, which, reading other posts sounds about right I believe?
I'm always open to correction, but I believe the TQC holds a considerable amount?
Best Regards,
Steve