A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 29th June 2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
I ordered a set of struts (2nd hand genuine) and they made a difference but just lacked those few mm to get it to pull itself up. I then adjusted the bolts mentioned in this thread and I finally managed to get it to work!
I took out my warning triangle and tow hook and it now works
If I adjust those bolts so that it opens it kind of explodes open with a thud and I was worried something like a hinge would break. I want to find springs to put on top of these bolts or instead of them.
Old 29th June 2018, 05:29 PM

OK mine works at time and not at others. These bolts were at maximum adjustment and I'm sure that's not how they are supposed to be as it just about closes. I will look into it when I have time
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
I ordered a set of struts (2nd hand genuine) and they made a difference but just lacked those few mm to get it to pull itself up. I then adjusted the bolts mentioned in this thread and I finally managed to get it to work!
Ok this stopped working not long after the 'new' struts were in. I took the tow hook out and it was still touch and go, eventually failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I stumbled across a YouTube video yesterday and that is exactly what they were doing. Didn't understand what they were saying, as it was in German, but the part number is 4F5827249B.
This is the cure! I ordered a set of buffers with the above part number from TPS. They are originally for an A6 but are exactly the same except they have the spring loaded bit. changed over in 2 mins and it popped open wth ease but would not close. I then put the tow hook back into the took kit and it now opens and closes as it should. For around £11, I would advise people to try these first rather than buying new struts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
I took out my warning triangle and tow hook and it now works
If I adjust those bolts so that it opens it kind of explodes open with a thud and I was worried something like a hinge would break. I want to find springs to put on top of these bolts or instead of them.
Mine does pop quite loudly but it doesn't seem to be stressing anywhere. I will adjust mine back to see if it still works.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 26th September 2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
OK, I did a quick Google and it appears there is a company in the UK that can regas struts through the mail - SGS Engineering UK.

They just got back to me and said they can supply new struts for £41.14 for the pair, or regas mine for £29.16 (£9.50 per strut, £5.30 postage + VAT), which includes return postage. They have to inspect the struts to ascertain whether or not they can be regassed.
Well for some reason SGS no longer regas struts for power boots. Reasoning was a bit strange, saying something along the lines of you can't just regas to xNm and it will work, there are a lot of other things involved. Here was their reply

Quote:
Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry. This is not a product that we manufacture or re gas.

Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future as we have a large variety of products and are always adding to our range which can be viewed at the link below:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com
I think people have had theirs regassed in the past and it hasn't solved the problem so they have then blamed SGS for not doing their job properly, where as the failure could be the motor etc
Old 26th September 2018, 10:51 PM

Do you just replace the screw in centre of the buffer?
Old 27th September 2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe View Post
Do you just replace the screw in centre of the buffer?
Yes. The new parts come complete with mountings but all you do is unscrew the old buffers and screw the new ones in. No need to remove any trim

Last edited by homer simpson; 30th September 2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:12 PM

Cheers for the info.
Wonder if t p s Stoke will serve me?????
Someone abroad selling on eBay.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:22 PM

If you get stuck, I don't mind getting a set and posting at cost price
Old 27th September 2018, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the kind offer.
I will approach tps stoke.
I will go in person with my overalls on.
Old 29th September 2018, 03:11 PM

I can now confirm that T P S Stoke will serve non trade account customers.

The part number is correct. I also had to put the tow hook back in the correct place in the lid to add ballast to enable the mechanism to lock. Mine are wound right in tight to trim, they don't pass through the trim hole. Down side is the added noise on release and shut lines near inner and outer lights are a couple of mm out.
Maybe Enlarging trim holes so the buffer would go tight back would help. I'll monitor the situation first.
Thanks for the heads up on this chaps.

Last edited by ivanhoe; 29th September 2018 at 03:34 PM.