A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 19th June 2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
Anyone have any views on them? I'm really interested to hear whether they continued to work properly over time and whether or not they're too bright.
I had these red ones with a small single LED and they gave off terrible radio interference. Took a while to narrow it down I can tell you.
Old 19th June 2016, 12:58 PM

I tried about 3 or 4 different solutions and they were all crap or failed after a few weeks so I eventually paid out for some decent ones and so far they seem good. No warnings or bulbs out issues and a nice white light but not too bright. The only thing is that they do the little blink every minute when the lights are off, but then you never see that happening as it's invariably daytime and I don't think there is a way to stop it other than using ballasts which sort of defeat the object.

HIDS Direct
XTEC 38mm C5W 9* SMD Canbus LED Number Plate Bulbs - White ( 1)

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/xtec-38...e-bulbs-white/

NB: They don't seem to be available from here at the moment but maybe from elsewhere
Old 19th June 2016, 01:29 PM

Not wanting to dampen your spirits but be aware that these so called "canbus" LEDs have a load resistor across the input. This resistor produces a lot of heat and there have been instances of it being hot enough to melt the solder allowing the resistor to fall off and becoming a floating object within the lamp housing.
On another thread I did comment on the problem that I had with one of my boot lights becoming so hot it melted the insulation on the wires supplying it.
Since then I have used Trups LEDs without any problems.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 19th June 2016, 02:13 PM

...and I guess that the Trups LEDs will also have the load resistor too or there would be errors shown?

The key is to pay a little more for a good design with good components and then it should last a little longer.

Buy cheap, buy twice.. or three or four or five time...
Old 19th June 2016, 04:05 PM

The other things to consider are the hue of white and the brightness.
I get mine from aliexpress cheap enough to bin them, but some have a purple tint, some are a greenish yellow and others are so bright that there are two illuminated patches on the ground behind the car - of course you don't know what you are getting until it arrives and you have fitted and tested it.
Old 19th June 2016, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Lee, I really like the look of those XTEC lights. Pity they're not available at the moment.

Ray, don't worry, I'm well aware of the resistors required to use LEDs in canbus-monitored lights. The trouble is, it sounds like if I don't get the canbus ones, the car will think they've blown and stop power to them after a while, so I have little choice.

As I said before, my preference would be to buy a complete unit. My favourite are these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1717477074...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They use CREE LEDs and an aluminium body, but I'm hesitant to buy them because although the description says they will fit our cars, the picture shown only one screw hole.

2008 Audi S8
Old 19th June 2016, 09:28 PM

Could that be the angle the photo was taken at?
My eyes are tired after a few hectic days. Mind the brain is a bit slugish as well.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 20th June 2016, 05:11 PM

Aw, snap. I just contacted the seller to ask whether the picture was correct and they say it is.

They also said they don't have the complete fitting with two screwholes.

OK, sounds like I'm back on switching bulbs then. The CREE unit gets my vote, although it's a shame it doesn't have the grid of LEDs. I know I'm really sad, but I really like the reflection on the bumper of a grid of LEDs!

2008 Audi S8
Old 3rd July 2016, 09:57 AM

Trup's number plate lights are fine.
They have the resistor to stop the error on the dash. I've has not issues with them.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:56 AM

Thanks for that Scott. If I have any trouble with the ones I bought, I know where to go.

Does anyone have Trups' contact details? I've seen his name mentioned a lot but I don't recall seeing his details. Feel free to PM, if preferred.

2008 Audi S8