A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 30th April 2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Having said that I wonder how that sits with the screen wash related legionaries problem
I don't know, it's only second time in my life I have heard about it , had to google it first time to see what it is and don't know about anybody affected buy it so I don't think it is such a big problem. I would think chemicals in screenwash would kill it anyway, winter screenwash has a lot of some kind of alchocol in it to stop it from freezing, it's either ethanol, methanol or isapropanol. As for the summer screenwash I don't know but I would guess that if it does not kill legionaries as is and if it was such a big issue they would add something specifically to kill legionaries. That would only leave people who just use plain water vulnerable. Besides that it gets hot under bonnet anyway especially in summer and on long drive so washer fluid would get pretty warm anyway.

It's probably temp controlled on merc either by electric valve or thermostat to work only in winter as it did not seem to heat up screenwash at current conditions.

Some of american cars use electric heaters for screenwash as factory option and you can get aftermarket replacement or upgrade kits. They do not heat the whole bottle but small in-line compartment.

http://www.alphathermusa.com/

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 30th April 2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 30th April 2016, 05:08 PM

The screen-wash you buy has some kind of preservative to prevent legionella, but it is a risk for people who use plain water and washing up liquid, especially older folk or babies so I always warn people about this as I had it. I had Legionnaires in 2009 after returning from a stint in the Islamic Republic of Iran during the big protests against Ahmedenijad. I had stayed in a new apartment for 10 days that had been built a year before but left unoccupied and was waiting for my flight. The first shower I had, the water in the iron pipes smelled a bit rusty and sulphurous. A week later I was back home and developed a cough that got worse over a week until I couldn't breathe as my lungs had filled with salty water. I went to GP and she called infectious diseases unit only to find they close at weekends to went to GP Referral in A&E and they were shocked I was up and about and lay me down and sent me straight to a ward. With intravenous antibiotics it was getting better immediately and went home 4 days later. It took 9 months to feel normal again.

Also, at work people come and turn all the taps on once a week and tick it on a clipboard and people come out and flush the pipes every year with chlorhexidine gluconate.

There are no confirmed cases of women catching it and none of people catching it a second time. About 30 people a year die from it in the UK.

Last edited by snapdragon; 30th April 2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 30th April 2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
The screen-wash you buy has some kind of preservative to prevent legionella, but it is a risk for people who use plain water and washing up liquid, especially older folk or babies so I always warn people about this as I had it. I had Legionnaires in 2009 after returning from a stint in the Islamic Republic of Iran during the big protests against Ahmedenijad. I had stayed in a new apartment for 10 days that had been built a year before but left unoccupied and was waiting for my flight. The first shower I had, the water in the iron pipes smelled a bit rusty and sulphurous. A week later I was back home and developed a cough that got worse over a week until I couldn't breathe as my lungs had filled with salty water. I went to GP and she called infectious diseases unit only to find they close at weekends to went to GP Referral in A&E and they were shocked I was up and about and lay me down and sent me straight to a ward. With intravenous antibiotics it was getting better immediately and went home 4 days later. It took 9 months to feel normal again.

Also, at work people come and turn all the taps on once a week and tick it on a clipboard and people come out and flush the pipes every year with chlorhexidine gluconate.

There are no confirmed cases of women catching it and none of people catching it a second time. About 30 people a year die from it in the UK.
Wowza. Not something to be taken lightly then.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.