A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 15th July 2017, 11:02 AM

Default Lights Coming On Really Early

Hi all,

I finally have my car back and I notice the lights seem to be turning on earlier in the day than they used to. When it's slightly overcast, they're on. It did this before it went in, but I thought all that time not driving it may have magically fixed the problem.

I checked VCDS and the sensor is set to normal, rather than early but they're still turning on when it's still quite bright outside.

Should I be checking the sensor, the little disc, or the adhesive to the screen? Any idea where I should start?

2008 Audi S8
Old 15th July 2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
Hi all,

I finally have my car back and I notice the lights seem to be turning on earlier in the day than they used to. When it's slightly overcast, they're on. It did this before it went in, but I thought all that time not driving it may have magically fixed the problem.

I checked VCDS and the sensor is set to normal, rather than early but they're still turning on when it's still quite bright outside.

Should I be checking the sensor, the little disc, or the adhesive to the screen? Any idea where I should start?
Hi Tony, what have you had done to the car recently? Anything relevant to the issue?

I just had my windscreen replaced (by cowboys) and rectified by a colleague in the end. I had issues with the lights, gel pack, wipers etc.

How are your auto wipers? I ask cos they sense using the same sensor/gel pack.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 15th July 2017, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply Johnmed.

No, the work was all in the engine bay, so didn't touch the interior at all. Also, it started happening before the car went in.

The wipers work fine on auto, it just seems the threshold when sensing light is too soon. VCDS has an option to make it earlier but I can't see one for later.

2008 Audi S8
Old 15th July 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
Thanks for the reply Johnmed.

No, the work was all in the engine bay, so didn't touch the interior at all. Also, it started happening before the car went in.

The wipers work fine on auto, it just seems the threshold when sensing light is too soon. VCDS has an option to make it earlier but I can't see one for later.
Hmmmn. Beats me. Hopefully someone will know.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 15th July 2017, 11:46 AM

Don't you have a Volvo where the lights are on all the time anyway? The Audi didn't want to feel left out ha ha
Old 15th July 2017, 01:46 PM

Ha ha! Yes, the Volvo does indeed have the lights on all the time.

The early headlights isn't exactly a huge problem, but I was hoping it was tweakable. I bought some new headlight bulbs and I'd like to try to get them to last as long as possible, but still keeping the auto lights benefit.

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th July 2017, 10:28 AM

Dont the interior/dials/dash light up in certain conditions but the headlights remain off? Mine appears to......confimed by having lights set at 'off' but speedo etc still illuminates in tunnels etc.... however questioning myself now so I am going to check later!!!!

P.s My auto lights and auto windscreen wipers have never worked since I had my windscreen replaced...... trouble is I simply don't have the time to even find someone to assist/solve!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 16th July 2017, 08:22 PM

Hello Tony,
How fast are you going?
There is a feature called Highway Lights where they come on at 90mph - a speed greater than our national speed limit and stays on for the rest of the journey. It can be disabled in VCDS.

Attachment 16539

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 17th July 2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Dont the interior/dials/dash light up in certain conditions but the headlights remain off? Mine appears to......confimed by having lights set at 'off' but speedo etc still illuminates in tunnels etc.... however questioning myself now so I am going to check later!!!!

P.s My auto lights and auto windscreen wipers have never worked since I had my windscreen replaced...... trouble is I simply don't have the time to even find someone to assist/solve!
That's right. If you go into a tunnel with the lights set to 'off' only the instrument cluster needs will illuminate so that it forces you to switch the headlights on, it's impossible to see the numbers otherwise. If there is enough light then the numbers/dials will be illuminated whatever the conditions. My D2 did the same.

My auto wipers weren't reliable when I first got my D3 but changing the gel membrane behind the rear view mirror solved that. Only a couple of quid.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 17th July 2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
That's right. If you go into a tunnel with the lights set to 'off' only the instrument cluster needs will illuminate so that it forces you to switch the headlights on, it's impossible to see the numbers otherwise. If there is enough light then the numbers/dials will be illuminated whatever the conditions. My D2 did the same.

My auto wipers weren't reliable when I first got my D3 but changing the gel membrane behind the rear view mirror solved that. Only a couple of quid.
Gel pack is £5 I believe and is just held in place by a metal ring (they left mine off first time).

2007 Mini Cooper S R56